Tuesday, November 10, 2009

All I Want for Christmas . . .








is my two front teeth! How cute is this school portrait? I was so afraid we would have to do retakes and Gavin wouldn't have a toothless grin anymore.

The story behind the school portraits this year is Gavin forgot to turn in the money the day the pictures were taken. I found the check in his backpack that night. Many thoughts immediately came to mind. We had his hair cut specifically for this picture. He doesn't really have any blank t-shirts so we picked out the best shirt we could think of for this situation. He was ready to give a great smile. I loved that he was missing his front teeth.

I remember Heath offering to Photoshop Daphne's teeth in a family picture he took. Deanna wanted nothing like that. She wanted a picture that reflected exactly what Daphne looked like at that point in her life. I remember thinking that was weird until I got there myself. I wanted a picture of Gavin without his front teeth because it is too adorable.

The next day I talked to Gavin's teacher. I told her what happened and asked if there was anything I could do. She looked at me with a mixture of sympathy and gratefulness she wasn't me! She suggested I talk to the office staff but she didn't seem hopeful there was any resolution to this "6 year old's mistake" as I called it. I saw the principal and bee lined for him.

The principal is a very personable guy. I hate that he is retiring at the end of the year. He asked how I even filled out the envelope for the package I wanted. He always asks a teacher or another parent to help him! Then he told me he was sure this had happened before and the company must have a way to fix it. He gave me a flyer with the company's info on it and told me to call them to let them know what happened and that the check was being mailed by the secretaries.

I called and couldn't get through to anyone. All over the flyer it said to contact them through their website. The website allowed me to email them. My reply was that I would get the pictures after they processed all the on time orders.

Gavin's teacher handed the package directly to me this morning. She thought that would be easier than putting it in a backpack and hoping nothing bad happened. I appreciated that. Unfortunately, we ordered a class picture but it was not in the package. So I need to contact the company again to ask for it.

The pictures look great and the portrait CD is fabulous. Gavin's smile is normal. He is not very photogenic. He has a tendency to give really forced smiles for the camera. His teeth are coming in already so this smile from a month or so ago is priceless to me.

2 thoughts:

sugarpierdh said...

That is a fantastic picture. Gavin is so cute!!

Dawn said...

Great photo! Believe me, you are not the only parent who has a forgetful child on picture day. I can;t believe how grownup little g is.