Monday, February 1, 2010

Disneyland Advice Wanted

I must admit I have never been to Disneyland.  I have led a sheltered life I suppose.  I have been to Downtown Disney twice.  It was always on the way home from a business trip that Heath let the kids and I tag along on.  Since we have reservations to go into the actual Disneyland park, I’m pretty excited. 

A friend of mine said she prepped her kids by letting them watch a bunch of Disney movies so they would recognize the characters and know the stories the characters are in.  We actually own more Disney movies than I thought.  I still went to the library this morning and checked out Sleeping Beauty and Tinker Bell.  The library seemed to have a severe shortage of old Disney classics. 

I can’t wait to go to Pixie Hollow.  Even if I didn’t have a daughter I would so be going to Pixie Hollow.  I have decorated with dragons and fairies for years.  Gwen is going to be so excited.  I made some Tinker Bell and friends fairies several months ago on the Cricut.  She loves those things. 

So fess up.  What is your favorite attraction or ride at Disneyland?  What do you think is an absolute can’t miss?  Where is your favorite place to eat?  Have you ever paid for hotel babysitting so you and your spouse could go out sans kids?  If so, was it worth it?

9 thoughts:

Chantalle Bishop said...

I was going to put down today that I WANT TO GO TO DISNEYLAND! I went a few times as a kid, and then we have been twice in the last two years, meaning we better make it again this year!
My advice: PLAN. You can't plan for everything, but figure out what you want to do FOR SURE. They have 'fast passes' that you get where the line starts, you get the fast pass and then come back at a certain time and get to walk pretty close to the front of the line. Do this for all the big rides! A must for us is Pirates of the Caribbean. It is a short line (even if the line long it goes fast cause it is constantly moving. My uncle is a VP for Disney and says its the only ride that can take every single person in Disneyland on any day.) So that's always a fun one if we have a half hour to kill before another ride. If you go to California Adventure the woody and buzz ride is a MUST. The Buzz one in Disneyland is fun, but the other one is a for sure. DO NOT do peter pan. DO NOT. You can see the end of the line, and it winds around and you think that because you can see the end it is short, and the sign that says 30 min wait is joking. It's not. It is a 2 minute ride and put everyone in a bad mood the first time we took Zach. We were going to do that as the last one, but then it made us all mad so we did Pirates one more time on our way out to end on a happy note!

Chantalle Bishop said...

O ya- you can also get a pass that lets one person go and the other stay with the kids and then the other person can go. Well actually lets three people come back I think, maybe 4. It's nice so that one person can stand in line and the other parent can still ride. We havent done it much, but I know a lot of people love it. We went with friends so we just took shifts of who went and who stayed with kids which was nice. A place we liked to eat was this little place by the ferry boat...but I can't remember what its called. It was just behind all the tables and chairs that were out, and this little place where we got fried chicken and moz sticks- but they have apple slices and healthier stuff too. We thought it was AWESOME. Can you tell I am dying to go to Disneyland? I told John last night that we need to go...but after busy season. The Winnie the Pooh ride almost always has the characters outside, which was fun for Zach since he loves that show. Tigger and Pooh have both been there every year, there is an area for them to stand so they are regulars. other characters are hit and miss. Im jealous!

mintifresh said...

I've only been once with my kids but I will say this, we loved Toon Town! We spent a lot of time there!

Jenni said...

I love all the classic Disney kids rides, esp. when you have kids! Don't miss Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, Pinnochio, etc. And of course, make SURE you do 'It's A Small World' and 'Splash Mountain'. My kids love the Tiki Room, and Pirates of the Carribean is a must too!
Have so much fun!!!

Jenni said...

Oh, and don't miss Indiana Jones too! That's a must too!!!

Jenni said...

I don't agree with your friend. Peter Pan is one of our fav's. I remember that ride from when I was 4. Maybe it's all just sentimental!!!

Becca Jane said...

I thought Californa Adventure was funner than Disneyland. Tower of Terror was by far my favorite ride!! But Indiana Jones and the Pirates ride are fun ones!

So how come Allie's hair will grow faster if I keep putting it up? Is this science? :) I"m just wondering!!

Richel said...

We did breakfast at Goofys Kitchen over in the Disneyland hotel. That was a lot of fun to see so many characters at once. They all come around to your table and will sign autographs and take pictures.

Cannonball said...

Have your kids where matching outfits...that was the best advice I got. I made them all where red shirts one day white shirts the next...it sounds so MOLLY but it helped in being able to sight the kids. Go online and let the kids pick a favorite attraction and make sure you get their wants in and then play things by ear...they may get there and love something they didn't online. Have no other expectations than to HAVE FUN and it'll be a great memory. Wayne and I did tag team days...when Ally needed a nap he took her back to the hotel and took Jay with him. Britt and I were able to do the bigger kid rides and have one on one time. Wayne was able to go swimming with Jay while Ally slept. The pool was empty because it was the middle of the day and everyone was at Disneyland. It worked great! Don't think you have to spend every second together...sometimes it's more fun hearing it out of the mouth of babes than actually witnessing it for yourself! HAVE FUN!!!