Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In honor of Dr. Seuss

Happy National Read Across America Day!  And Happy Birthday to Dr. Seuss who, if he was still alive, would be 106 years old today. 

Audrey Geisel wrote the Introduction in “Seuss-isms Wise and Witty Prescriptions for Living from the Good Doctor.”  She wrote that “his books contain more sane, sensible, and just plain hilarious advice for living than most of the self-help books crowding bookstores today.”

In honor of Dr. Seuss, one of the most influential authors of our day, these are some of my favorite Seuss-isms.

If you never did, you should.
These things are fun and fun is good.
~ One fish two fish red fish blue fish

Come on!  Open your mouth and sound off at the sky!
Shout loud at the top of your voice,
“I AM I!”
ME!  I am I!
And I may not know why
But I know that I like it.
Three cheers!  I AM I!
~ Happy Birthday to You!

You have brains in your head. 
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go.
~ Oh the Places You’ll Go!

My uncle ordered popovers from the restaurant’s bill of fare.
And, when they were served, he regarded them with a penetrating stare . . .
Then he spoke great Words of Wisdom"
as he sat there on that chair:
”To eat these things,” said my uncle, “you must exercise great care. 
You must swallow down what’s solid . . . BUT . . . you must spit out the air!”
And  . . . as you partake of the world’s bill of fare, that’s darned good advice to follow.
Do a lot of spitting out the hot air. 
And be careful what you swallow.
~ “My Uncle Terwilliger on the Art of Eating Popovers”

Wake every person, pig and pup,
till EVERYONE on Earth is up!
Except for me.  Please go away.
No up.  I’m sleeping in today.
~ Great Day for Up

Think left and think right and think low and think high.
Oh, the THINKS you can think up if only you try!
~ Oh the Thinks you can Think!

This may not seem very important, I know. 
But it is.  So I’m bothering telling you so.
~ Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book

 

I could go on and on.  I love Dr. Seuss.  What are your favorite Seuss-isms?  Please share in a comment so we can all experience the warm and fuzzy feeling we had as kids snuggled in our parent’s laps reading Dr. Seuss.  If I’ve already shared one of your favorites it’s ok to repeat it.  Happy Read Across America Day (in our house we call it Dr. Seuss Day)!

0 thoughts: