Saturday, April 3, 2010

Indoor Picnic

Gavin had so many plans for Spring Break. So many things he wanted to do. I hate that the weather isn't cooperating. But I honestly can't think of a Spring Break in my life when the weather was particularly nice. That's the nature of spring. I can only think of maybe one time when General Conference came with nice weather. Yep, even in sunny California, we get sad and cold days.

Today was one of those days.

Since it was cloudy, breezy, and barely 50 degrees we canceled our trip to the park for an outdoor picnic. I know. The Utahns are thinking "50 degrees? Break out the shorts!" This is a sign we have lived in Northern California too long. We're such babies.

Anyway, I found a big blanket and put it down over the area rug in the front room after I moved the table. Heath lovingly wrapped every sandwich as if we were going to carry them in the basket with chips further than the few feet from the kitchen to the living room. The kids each got mini water bottles. Gwen's was put in a sippy cup to maintain my sanity. Heath and I shared a 50 oz. bottle of Diet Coke. Apparently there were no smaller bottles. Only cans and I hate Diet Coke from a can.

Everyone got a paper towel for a plate. Heath had the Barenaked Ladies' Snack Time CD playing in the background. This was to create ambiance since there would be no birds singing at our picnic. We also slapped the floor several times before we ate to get rid of unwanted picnic ants.



The kids could not be happier. It was such a simple yet fun way to eat lunch together. I remember so many similar picnics from my own childhood. All it took was spreading a blanket on the floor and lunch turned into an adventure.

The boys keep commenting that the sun is out now. Of course, and it's in the mid to upper 50's by now. No time for a dinner picnic though. Heath is going to the Stake Center for the Priesthood Session of Conference soon. I have to say that the Saturday sessions have always been my favorite. I don't know why.

2 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

Cute bows!! :)

We hunted easter eggs in our complex in the SNOW. I might cry.

Enjoy your Easter Weekend! Love ya!

Jenni said...

That is so cute! I just may have to try it myself. And be thankful for your 50 degrees, we're about 35-40 here...with snow. Ick!!!