Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Sowing the Seeds of Love

Saturday was one of the nicest days last week. Nature gave us enough of a break from the rain and cold so we could plant a garden. The kids were pretty excited to help Dad.

The boys helped Dad dig holes and get rid of rocks.

This is Gavin's tomato plant. He went on a field trip to a local farm and the kids got to plant seeds. He came home with this plant. For the last month or so it has been sitting on the kitchen counter. The counter doesn't get much sun and I was not the best at remembering to water the poor plant. Heath told me if we waited too long to plant it in the garden it would be pot bound. I don't know exactly what that means but I got that it was not a good thing!
Heath planted the tomato plant. He said it was not pot bound. The problem was that it didn't have a lot of roots. He was actually surprised the top was as big and leafy as it was considering the lack of roots. When Heath took the plant out of the pot, the soil crumbled out leaving the roots clinging to virtually nothing. Heath planted it as lovingly as he did the rest of the plants. He put up the tomato cage hoping for the best. We'll see what happens I guess.
The tomato plant was looking really sad there for a while. It started to look a little perkier yesterday. Maybe it will pull through after all. My mom told me how to put it on life support if we need to. We'll probably just buy another plant if we have to. Heath said that there can be plant trauma when moving a plant from a pot to the ground. We're thinking this poor little tomato plant had severe trauma on Saturday. But so far he's a fighter. Come on little guy. You can do it!

This was Gwen most of the day. She wasn't allowed to step where the seeds were planted. They didn't need to be tamped down anymore. She wasn't allowed to play with the grown up sized gardening tools. She wasn't allowed to play with the soil where we were planting or the pellet sized plant food. She wasn't allowed to touch the fertilizer either. No, no, no really got to her after a while.

Her sad cries reminded me of Gardening Day 2008. She cried all day then too.

The biggest issue with Gwen's tears was my fault. I put a clip in her hair that changes colors in the sun. Not the Del Sol clips I bought from What Women Want. No, the clip I put in her hair was from Grandma and Grandpa when they took a cruise to Alaska. They also bought two rings that change color in the sun.
The clip was fine. It matched her shirt really well too. The problem was I let the boys wear the rings. Gwen did not have a ring. She had a clip in her hair that she couldn't see. I took it out of her hair and put it on her shirt. She yelled at me even louder.
I went into the house to get one of my old rings. It wouldn't change color but she could wear it. The rings were gone. I remembered I gave them to D.I. when we moved. Hmm . . . now what? I found the bracelet my mom made me for Mother's Day last year.
Tears stopped. Gwen admired the pretty bracelet.

The offending ring. Way to go Mom!

Back to planting. So here are a few of the plants in our garden.


We, and when I say we I mean Heath, planted the tomato plant that could, parsley, spinach, green onions, bell pepper, jalepeno pepper (salsa anyone?), strawberry, zucchini, watermelon, and we still have chives from two years ago. The only thing we meant to plant was an artichoke plant but we forgot to buy it.

We told our neighbors that we planted a garden. One neighbor told another neighbor that we are like farmers or something. She thought our garden from two years ago was amazing. Her standards must be pretty low when it comes to growing vegetables. But maybe we're better than we think we are. After all, didn't we grow a tomato plant last year that had been torn out the year before? Growing without even trying must count for something.

1 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

Oh look at itty bitty Gwenny!! So so cute!