Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother’s Day 2010: seceding children, candy and homemade gifts, and an impromptu game show

A large puffy white envelope came in the mail the other day.  It was a Mother’s Day gift from my mom.  She is so sweet to always do something for her children on Mother’s Day.  I talked to her today but the conversation moved in such a way that I never thanked her for the gift.  Thanks Mom!  I love you! 

She made a card with this quote inside:

Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too.  Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own.  ~ Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons

That pretty much sums it up doesn’t it?  Motherhood is the closest thing to God on this earth.  When people remember the love and comfort they felt as a child from their mothers they remember that God loves them and when they think of how God loves them they remember their mothers.  It is no accident that the two are connected. 

Being a mother has been an interesting journey for me.  It is the one job I have not been able to quit, outgrow or move on from.  Celebrating Mother’s Day is always nice.  Today has been an exceptionally wonderful day. 

The joy of mothering young children is all the homemade gifts. 

Gavin has been preparing for Mother’s Day for about a month now.  He will make me bookmarks, cards, books, pictures, you name it.  I have at least two of each of these things that he has made for me for Mother’s Day.  Today he handed me a stack of more things.  On Friday he came out of school with a pad of paper with a picture of him on the corner and “I love you Mom!” written across the top and “Love Gavin” written across the bottom.  I realized later that it was printed on every page.  How cute.  He also made me a flower pen and a card.

At church the Primary kids usually sing to the mothers on Mother’s Day.  I caught a sneak peek of this last week when we happened to be in the chapel while the kids were practicing.  The song was one I had never heard before.  The repeated line is something like, “I wish everyone in the whole wide world had a mother just like you.”  On the word you the kids point at their mothers.  The boys both knew Heath and I were in there so they enthusiastically pointed right at me. 

Today they went up with the rest of the Junior Primary kids.  They were on the opposite side of the stand from where we were sitting in the congregation.  But both  boys could still see me.  As they were singing they were looking at the chorister, my friend Michelle.  Then they would steal these glances at me complete with huge grins.  For every one of the “mother just like you” lines Gavin would point at me and smile.  Parker pointed emphatically at Michelle.  Heath and I were cracking up.  The woman in front of us kept sighing and whispering how cute the kids were.  For the last “mother just like you” line, Gavin started to point at Michelle but quickly caught himself and pointed at me.  I almost lost both sons to Michelle!  She is a really nice mom.  Much more patient than me.  Maybe I don’t blame Parker for seceding.  But still!

Heath and I were still cracking up over it at the end of the meeting.  The lady in front of us turned around to tell the boys how sweet they were to sing to me.  That only made Heath and me laugh harder.  She saw that Gavin almost didn’t point at me at the end of the song.  I don’t think she realized that Parker never did. 

Our ward has some fun traditions besides the Primary kids singing to mothers.  After Sacrament Meeting is over everyone stays seated while the men go up front to sing to the women.  They sang Love at Home.  When they are finished we still stay seated so the youth can pass out a gift to the adult women.  In the past they have given large flowers to be planted.  This year they gave out baggies full of Lindt chocolate.  The chocolate is divine!  Ha ha!  No pun intended.

In Relief Society we ended five minutes early to socialize over cinnamon rolls.  A friend of mine sewed lesson manual bags for every sister.  I was impressed.  We all were.  She took placemats and stitched up the bottom to make a pocket and then she stitched the whole thing into thirds so there is space for a pen and a scripture marking pencil, a space for the manual, and a space for a small notebook.  The whole thing folds up and velcros together.  The notebook, pen and pencil were all included.  We already had the manuals.  What a great gift right?  

The boys came out of Primary with more Mother’s Day goodies for me.  Candy and flower pens.  Gavin’s note saying he has to give a talk next week.  Oh wait, that has nothing to do with Mother’s Day.  Parker had an M & M game to play with me. 

We took turns drawing an M & M without looking.  We matched the color with the question on the paper.  It was a fun way for us to get to know each other better.  Parker went first.  He drew a brown candy.  The paper said, “What question would you like to ask me?”  He thought long and hard and finally said some nonsense about what did I do when I was upstairs and my sister was asleep.  I stared at him not sure I understood what he was asking.  So I asked him if he wanted me to talk about when I was a kid and my sister napped.  He said, “No.  I was just joking.  Let me think of another question.” 

I honestly can’t remember what he asked next.  But it made more sense so I started answering.  He cut me off in the middle with a loud, “Ding!  That’s correct!”  Heath and I almost peed our pants laughing.  I had no idea there was a right or wrong answer and I wasn’t even finished before getting his ding of approval.  The rest of the questions made more sense.  What is one of your favorite things to do with me, tell me about a good day, a bad day, questions like that. 

For dinner we are having crab cakes, mashed potatoes, and broccoli.  I wanted to try something different from the norm we usually have on Sundays and special occasions.  I’m pretty excited about the crab cakes.  Hopefully the Smart & Final ones are as good as ones I’ve eaten at nice restaurants. 

My gift from Heath was work out clothes.  Good timing Heath!  Tuesday our RS activity is an exercise activity.  I work out at home in either partial nudity (a nursing sports bra and ratty shorts) or ill fitting boxer shorts from college and a small tank top my stomach spills out of.  I think the sisters will be pleased to see me in my first work out ensemble.  

My mom surprised me with a phone call before I could call her.  Today has been the best Mom’s Day ever.  How was everyone else’s Mother’s Day?

2 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

I'm sad the Primary kids didn't sing to us this year...it would have been Cam's first time going up with the kids. Oh well.

Yay for workout clothes!! It definitely helps! I need some new ones too.

Heath Westover said...

I want to officially state that while I did laugh I did not have any incontinence problems.

Heath