Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How to go from an ad icon to a popular toy in one step

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”

Although this is the popular form of this quotation, a more correct translation from the original Chinese would be "The journey of a thousand miles begins beneath one's feet." Rather than emphasizing the first step, Lau Tzu regarded action as something that arises naturally from stillness. Another potential phrasing would be "Even the longest journey must begin where you stand." [note by Michael Moncur, September 01, 2004] (that whole paragraph found here.)

My thousand mile journey literally has begun with a single step. Good thoughts are a great beginning but not super effective. Action is required.

Over the last 10 years I have tried different exercise programs. I guess the reason why I can’t shut up about the Wii’s EA Active program is because it is the only thing I have ever done that yielded noticeable results so quickly.

While my weight is holding steady at 20 lbs overweight, I feel like I look good. My arms and legs are getting definition I have never seen before in my life! Not even when I took weight training and step aerobics on alternating days in high school. I no longer resemble the Pillsbury Dough Boy. 20060702doughboy You know, round and fluffy all over. Not to mention the pasty white skin color from a severe lack of exposure to sunlight. I think I look more like Mr. Potato Head. mr_potato_head More tan with thin limbs and a heavy, round middle. I take what I can get and I consider that success! It’s a glass is half full approach to literally looking like I’m halfway to my goal.

I am halfway done with the 30 Day Challenge. So far I have done well over 25 laps around the track. That’s over 5 miles of running in place without ever leaving the privacy of my own bedroom! Sign me up for the next running in place marathon. I would kick some serious butt! I have burned over 1000 calories. Today I was told I have done 100 squats while I was in the beginning of a set of squats. My butt looks fantastic from all the squats.

Diabetes has tried to get in the way of this 30 Day Challenge. I don’t like having to play blood sugar roulette especially when I lose. So far today has been a good blood sugar day other than this morning I didn’t get to start my workout until 8:30. Low blood sugar made me wait until it came up and by then all the kids were climbing the walls so I had to feed them and enlist my favorite babysitter – TV. I was not going to let anything get in my way. I am finishing this challenge if for no reason other than to say I completed it in 30 days.

My arms and legs keep me going. The squishy middle is frustrating but I just tell myself that one day my mom can get me an employee discount for a tummy tuck. She’s a nurse at a surgical center. As far as I know there is no discount. Too bad. Maybe I’ll rob a bank or my blog will start making me money! Ha ha I crack myself up.

The point is I have a dream. Some people get up in the morning by promising themselves they will take a nap later even though they never do. I used to be one of those people. Now I tell myself my fat rolls will one day be a dim memory. It’s a first step in this journey of a thousand miles. Even if it never comes true, it at least got me to move my feet.

2 thoughts:

Dawn said...

Okay, first off, I am very fond of the Pillsbury Dough Boy and I don’t appreciate you dissing him. I don’t think you have ever looked like him or Mr. Potato Head but I am very impressed by your commitment to the 30-day program. That is a major accomplishment especially with three children at home. So far we have purchased the Wii console. Good start huh? I am more than ready for my foot to stop hurting but I am sure I will find another excuse at that point. YOU GO GIRL!

Becca Jane said...

Haha, we LOVE Phineas and Ferb...I catch Nate watching it all the time.

I hate my squishy middle too. I have been starting to run again...but I'm still horribly out of shape, have to walk every 2 minutes, and then I get frustrated with myself. But overall I do feel better about the entire day when I go.

I also killed a plant once...after it clung to dear life for about 5 years. His name was Grant. Grant the Plant.