Thursday, July 8, 2010

33% More

Every time I see this on a product I always wonder.  Does the 33% More mean the lotion is 33% more moisturizing?  The toothpaste is 33% more minty fresh?  The contact solution is 33% more visually appealing?  Who knows? 

I have a hard time believing that the label means there is 33% more product.  If anything it has to mean that one will use up the product 33% more quickly. 

About a year ago I bought sunscreen from Costco.  There were two cans of spray sunscreen along with a glue stick looking tube of sunscreen to be applied to the face.  The last can of spray sunscreen was nearly gone last week.  So I got another from the local grocery store.  It claimed to have 33% more.  More of what it didn’t say.  Just 33% More in really big letters on the top of the can in a contrasting color to draw more attention to it. 

The can lasted a week.  I’m not kidding.  One week and it stopped spraying mid kid.  I had to finish that kid and the other two with the Costco can I thankfully hadn’t thrown out.  But that can was gasping by the end of the last kid. 

I did what any good mother would do.  I told Heath I was ready to go back to lotion sunscreen because maybe it would last longer than one week.  He bought me more spray sunscreen because it was the best deal.  Knowing our grocery store they probably didn’t even have any lotion sunscreen.  It cost $11 something but with tax came out to be $13 and change.  That seems steep for a can of sunscreen that I can’t guarantee will last through the week. 

Actually, I think the 33% more means that the product is 33% more effective.  My kids must be Heath’s kids.  They are as white as the day is long.  No skin color to speak of.  Maybe I’ll stop putting sunscreen on them altogether.  Maybe they’ll stop looking like they live deep in a cave. 

That may have been too harsh.  Sorry Heath and kids!  The point I was trying to make is that I don’t know what 33% more means.  I also don’t know what it means when a product claims to have a percentage free.  Free what?  I get 10% free calories for using an unrelated product? 

Either way, I’m not a fan of this new sunscreen.  It shoots a stream of sunscreen like a fire hose.  No misting whatsoever.  It’s ok on the kids because I can spread the line by rubbing it all over.  When I tried to spray my own chest it stained my shirt like I have some sort of drinking problem.  Stupid sunscreen!  I think 33% more means you’ll look 33% more like an idiot! 

5 thoughts:

Dawn said...

I am betting on the 33% meaning it cost 33% more. I need to buy sunscreen so I will have to be careful what I buy.

Sorry about the pale children. Blame it on their Swedish heritage. Whenever Barry’s family took our kids anywhere near the water they came back sunburned since all of his family tanned too. Me, I have two colors---RED or WHITE. I think it has something to do with the BLUE eyes.

Becca Jane said...

Haha, that's funny. You're so right. It's all about advertising...

My kids are BROWN. I slather them with sunscreen every day and they just brown up, it's all thanks to their dad though cuz I just burn.

Tristan said...

Becca, I had your kids in mind when I wrote about my lilly white kids! My arms are almost as tan as your kids but my legs apparently don't have any more pigment. Nothing is happening!

Fulkerson Clan said...

i hear ya on the sunscreen tristan! i had my hubby pick up a can of spray sunscreen that lasted about a week longer than yours lol. so, i bought lotion sunscreen, and yeah, it takes a little longer, but i feel a little less ripped off using that then the "convenient" spray. i swear those sprays are a conspiracy!!!

Fulkerson Clan said...

i hear ya on the sunscreen tristan! i had my hubby pick up a can of spray sunscreen that lasted about a week longer than yours lol. so, i bought lotion sunscreen, and yeah, it takes a little longer, but i feel a little less ripped off using that then the "convenient" spray. i swear those sprays are a conspiracy!!!