Friday, July 2, 2010

Caution: Contents Under Pressure

Stress is an interesting thing.  We all deal with it differently.  And we all tend to judge others for their stress.  It’s easy to think they brought it on themselves.  Or they are overreacting because “it’s not that big a deal.”  They deserve what they got.  Why don’t they just fix it?  Blah blah blah. 

The truth is walking a mile in another’s shoes is a great way to gain perspective.  But even then we may not truly understand until the same stress happens to us. 

My stress has been mounting for weeks.  This is typically how I deal with stress.  I let it fester until it explodes in some way.  Today was an angry panic attack.  I took deep breaths like I was some Lamaze teacher.  Then I took Gavin to his well child check up. 

As I predicted, the appointment took my mind off of things.  All went well there.  He is shorter than I thought; in the 50th percentile for height and 45th for weight.  And he may develop his parents’ nearsightedness one day.  But for now I think the nurse got a reading of 20/30 because Gavin was too bored or uncomfortable to stare at the blinking lights as long as he needed to.  I was told to get him a real eye exam with an optometrist in 6-12 months. 

See how well the appointment calmed me?  I almost forgot my original point with this post!  Heath worked from home today so when I came home he gave me the Diet Coke I promised myself.  Then I watched the comedian, Brian Regan, streamed from Netflix on our Wii.  I laughed so hard I was choking.  I hardly remember what I was so upset about before.  That’s what I do.  I give myself a mini heart attack, drink Diet Coke, and distract myself somehow. 

What do you do?

2 thoughts:

Dawn said...

Stress? What stress? I have been on overload from several days (weeks?) myself. Unfortunately my health and everyone around me has suffered with me. I try so hard to bite my tongue but I don’t always succeed. I want to have a barbeque with friends but if I don’t get out of this funk I am afraid to schedule it. I could not resist a rubber stamp I found on sale yesterday. The laugh was worth the $3.99.

It says: “You know it was a good day if you didn’t hit or bite anyone. –Nathanial Parizek, age 4”

Have a good day!

Tristan said...

You definitely got your money's worth on that one! That's laugh out loud funny.

I'm with you, biting my tongue is easier said than done. Too bad we don't live closer to each other. You and I could have a great pity party!

Have a better day. We love you.