Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Nice Hickey!

As fashionable as this isn’t . . .

 006

I have to say that this is infinitely worse . . .

007

I apologize for the fuzzy picture.  What you are looking at is the hickey left behind by my new infusion set. 

Last night I needed to change the site.  I re-watched the tutorial trying to figure out how to pull it out.  The tutorial spent more time on how to take the reservoir out of the pump than it did on removing the cannula in my body.  The cartoon person simply pulled the thing straight out.  How hard could it be right?

So I disconnected the tubing from the site and started to pull up on the little circle of tape surrounding the cannula that was still inside my body.  Hmm.  The tape was on there pretty good.  Remember how I said that it stayed on in the shower?  Well, it was on there for life, apparently.  I don’t know if I’m supposed to use paint thinner or what but that thing was not going to come off without a fight. 

When I finally got most of the adhesive backing up on one side the cannula came out.  But not straight out.  No, as I continued to tug on the other side the cannula bent backwards and ripped out that way.  I don’t know if it hurt because my nerve endings were concentrating more on having my flesh slowly torn off by permanent adhesive from hell. 

The good news is that it didn’t feel like a nasty mosquito bite afterwards. 

010

This is an old site on the other side of my abdomen.  My sites itch like crazy even after everything has been removed.  Cortisone only takes the edge off the itch.  So I think that’s why I have ugly red spots all over my body.  But that hickey . . . wow.  That thing is something else. 

If anyone knows the trick to removing the Quick-sets please let me know. 

3 thoughts:

Jenni said...

You and Heath...man!!!;) (Just kidding!) That doesn't look like much fun!

P.S. Thank you for your comment, it made me smile. I'm really excited!:)

Karen said...

I wish I had a tip for you - but I just pull them out. The area usually does itch me for a day or so - but I've never had anything as bad as the site hickey you have. So sorry!! I'm not sure how the cannula came out backwards either, that must have really hurt!

Dawn said...

Quick rips for Quick-sets?
Ouch!