Monday, August 23, 2010

In the words of Sponge Bob Squarepants:

Sponge-Bob

Translation for those of you who are having trouble reading it backwards:

Today is the Best Day Ever!

I love this picture.  I love how positive Sponge Bob is and how happy he is.  I love that the blanket was painstakingly attached to the door.  Backwards.  Oops.  This is my favorite saying on good diabetes days and so this is my favorite diabetes picture.  Like diabetes, the backwards blanket is what it is.  And that makes me smile. 

This morning the sun came out at 7:00 am.  That has not happened at all in the last month.  We’re pushing 90 degrees now.  Ah, summer. 

I had a panic attack last night that resumed this morning but I drove anyway to see my endocrinologist and find out that my A1C is 6.7!!!!  Do you know what that means?  That means my A1C has dropped five points in three months.  My last A1C was 7.2 and now it’s 6.7! (it’s recommended that diabetics have an A1C below 7 to reduce the risk of complications)  I have been floating ever since. 

The plan is to go to the beach.  It was always the plan for the day.  I figured we could either celebrate or commiserate my results that I knew would be good.  So celebrate it is.  And now it’s going to be lovely at the beach.  No fog at all.  Not even at Half Moon Bay, which I don’t think we’ll go to.  I like Santa Cruz better. 

The long term plan is to keep on keeping on.  If I can bring my A1C down from a 7.2 to a 6.7 in three short months I can do anything.  My goal is to have my blood sugar average be in the 120 range by November when I go back.  I don’t know what the A1C for that would be but a 6.7 translates to a 144 average. 

Dream big.  Work hard.  And always remember that this is the best day ever. 

4 thoughts:

mintifresh said...

I really don't know how you can say that line without smiling, seriously!

Dawn said...

WaaHoo! I am impressed. Keep up the good work. You are my hero. I hate going to the endo because he is going to say, "exercise more, loose weight" It would be nice if just once he said what a great job I do giving myself six shots a day and swallowing all those pils.

Ray Colon said...

Hi Tristan,

As I read this I marveled at your positive attitude. I generally try to stay positive, but some days I'm more successful than others. I'm not faced with the kinds of medical hurdles that you wake up to each day, so I can only imagine how staying upbeat must be a continual challenge.

It turns out that on the day you wrote this post, I was feeling grumpy. I looked back at my twitter stream and saw that my tweet was the antithesis of your positive message:

"Paused a hectic day to browse some news sites for something uplifting. What was I thinking? #ForgetTheWorldSucks"

Pretty lame in comparison, eh?

Keep up with keeping up, and I'll tag along for the ride. Ray

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Ray. Being positive is one of those things. Some days are easier than others. Everybody has grumpy days or days when they feel on top of the world, like I did the day I wrote this post. I think we all lift each other up in different ways. Some days you lift me up with what you say and hopefully something I've said brightens your day.