Saturday, August 21, 2010

Post it Note from Heaven

Somehow somewhere I had run over a screwdriver bit.  It wedged itself in my back tire at an angle and air was escaping at an alarmingly fast rate.  The escaping air was loud.  It almost sounded like a water spicket turned on full blast. 

A man waited for me at the end of my driveway to tell me he thought I had a flat tire because he heard a clunking sound as I drove past him.  After he had left I went back out to check the tire.  The air was almost completely out by then.  Then I saw it.  The rusted metal screwdriver bit. 

I pulled it out and felt sick.  This wasn’t just a flat tire.  When the man said flat tire the boys said, “Get the pump!  Quick!”  The rushing air was kind of a dead give away that it was more than your standard flat tire.  But the offending object sealed the deal. 

All I could think was how lucky I was to have found out after I pulled into my driveway and parked in the garage.  It could have been so much worse.  I could have been anywhere with the kids in the van and had the whole tire blow out on me. 

It was one of those post it notes from heaven.  I once heard someone describe the little everyday miracles of life as a post it note from Heavenly Father saying “I love you.”  I like the analogy. 

When Heath was finally able to leave work and come home he was about to put the spare tire on and take the van to Les Schwab Tires.  He said they patch holes for free.  I was so relieved to hear that.  I wasn’t feeling guilty.  It’s a fact of life that anyone can hit a road hazard when they least expect it.  But buying a new tire was not what I planned on doing that day. 

He looked in the trunk of the van and decided to just call OnStar.  We pay for it and they can come change the tire.  That way Heath wouldn’t have to put the trunk all back together later.  He chose the lazy way out.  Another post it note from heaven. 

OnStar came after being caught in rush hour traffic from San Francisco and changed it to a dorky spare tire.  They said we would have to replace the tire because it was getting really worn out.  Heath showed me what they meant after they left.  We will have to replace both back tires.  That’s life.  But looking at that tire was sobering. 

We realized the van could have flipped.  Or had hundreds of dollars worth of damage as one of us drove down the freeway.  Who knows?  Heath said we could have all been in the van somewhere and something awful happened and we could have died.  I have to admit, I thought so what?  We would all be dead together!

Most people wouldn’t consider getting a screwdriver bit stuck in their tire a blessing but we do.  The timing was a blessing.  Given how quickly the air rushed out of the tire, I had to have hit the object very near home.  The good Samaritan runner that waited for me to get out to tell me was a blessing.  It all is a huge blessing. 

A great big yellow post it note from my Heavenly Father reminding me that He loves me and hasn’t forgotten me. 

5 thoughts:

Jenni said...

So glad you're all ok. Check this out: http://www.fox5vegas.com/news/24627103/detail.html?taf=vegas. This is what we saw on our way home from California. It had me in tears and I lost some sleep over it. Count your many blessings! Thank goodness for unanswered prayers!!!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Wow Jenni. Thank you for sharing that. The $340 for a new set of rear tires is nothing compared to the priceless safety we were blessed with.

Ray Colon said...

Hi Tristan, I'm sorry to read about your lost tire. Your reaction that it could have been so much worse is the same thought that I had yesterday when I learned that my daughter's car died as she tried to leave Walmart. We knew that the car had problems, but were hoping that it would last until she moved into her dorm. She moves on Tuesday, so we almost made it. I tried to give her car a jump, but it was no use. If it had died while she was driving, things could have been a lot worse, so I'll borrow your phrase and ascribe the fortunate timing of this episode to "a post it note from Heaven." :) Ray

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I'm sorry to hear that Ray. I'm glad she's ok. She probably is too!

I heard a lot of post it notes from heaven today at church. It makes me think that if we recognized each one our world would be a much yellower place. Unless God has the multicolored pack of post its and then the world would be super colorful!

Jenni said...

That's a cute way of thinking about it. :) I like to think it would be yellower; the world is already "colorful" enough!!! :)