Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Advertising

What you wear says a lot about you.  Like a walking advertisement. 

IMG_2917

It’s no secret that we love BYU around our house. 

Heath loves to wear his BYU shirts around town because it’s a great conversation starter.  We meet the most interesting people when one of us wears a BYU shirt. 

On a trip to Costco we met the cutest old couple.  I was waiting for them to walk past so I could walk around and grab something out of the freezer.  Little did I know they were slowing down to talk to us.  I quickly walked around them, grabbed the item, and came back to the cart to hear the little old man singing the Cougar fight song to my kids. 

His wife said that he is her second husband after her first husband died in a car accident.  She said that her kids were aware of BYU but that was about it.  She married this man and he would wake her kids up every morning by singing the Cougar fight song.  They hated it!  The wife thought it was so funny.  We all had a good chuckle over that.  She said he loves to sing that song any chance he gets and seeing Heath in his BYU shirt was the perfect opportunity. 

I wore one of my shirts yesterday and for a moment wondered if anyone would say anything.  Nobody did.  Today Gwen picked out her outfit as usual.  She picked her purple plaid skort.  She doesn’t have a lot of shirts that match it since it was a hand me down.  I put her in her gray BYU shirt.  My only thought was that I should have talked her into something else so she could wear the shirt on Saturday for BYU’s first game. 

Gwen and I were walking with our new friends Emily and Maddy to pick up Parker and Dylan from school.  Suddenly somebody was behind us saying, “Who’s BYU?”  I think she was so excited to recognize Mormons that she didn’t know what to say to get our attention.  She wanted to know who Gwen belonged to and if we were Mormon.  And the introductions began. 

She and her family moved here from Southern California just a few weeks ago and they didn’t know a lot of people yet.  We all said our names and what ward we were in.  None of us are in the same ward!  It was like being in Utah all over again.  Oh you live across the street?  What ward are you in?  Oh you’re in another stake altogether?  Who knew? 

Her 4 year old kept tugging at her arm saying he wanted to go get his BYU shirt.  I had to laugh in my head when I asked if anyone was watching the game on Saturday and none of the other women knew there was a game!  I’m dying along with Heath trying to wait for this game.  I can’t wait for football season to start! 

Today was one of those moments where I was proud to be who I am and advertising it out loud.  The three of us women were happy to have met each other.  We’ll be seeing more of each other in the future. 

4 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

I love being a True Blue in the midst of Red Land!!! Go Cougs!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Becca, some people take the rivalry really seriously. I hope you don't get too much flak from your neighbors. Heath and I still laugh that Parker may have been born red but he bleeds blue.

Dawn said...

Here we go. Go cougars! I know what our Saturdays will be like for the next three months.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Dawn, I know. I hope my enthusiasm holds that long. I love watching football with Heath but I hate trying to keep the kids away from him, which makes me miss nearly every game. Then the 3 months seems like forever.