Thursday, September 9, 2010

Perspective

I feel guilty for publishing the post I did today.  Not for what I said or how I feel or anything like that.  It’s been on my mind for a while now so I put it in words.  I feel guilty about the timing of the post. 

This morning one of my loyal readers had a heart attack.  This person is in the hospital.  I care deeply for this person and thought about this person all day.  But I didn’t feel comfortable posting anything about this person today. 

Heath worked from home today which changes my routine anyway but the news of my reader kind of rocked my world.  Wanting to write something – anything – in order to deal with my thoughts I posted about the little world I live in. 

Now there is breaking news that a huge tragic explosion happened in San Bruno and about 45 homes are on fire.  Who am I to complain about anything in my life on a day like today? 

2 thoughts:

Ray Colon said...

Hi Tristan,

I don't think that there was anything wrong with the timing of your previous post. World events -- those nearby as well as those that are far -- will always seem to overshadow the things that we are experiencing. But unless you're publishing a "headline news" blog, you needn't make a comparison between what you write about and the things that are happening in the world at large.

None of this is to say that I haven't had similar thoughts myself. For instance, I wrote two posts on Saturday and thought about holding them back until Sunday because Saturday was 9/11. Neither of my posts had anything to do with 9/11, but I wondered if they should have been about commemorating that anniversay. I decided that as significant as that day was, I didn't need to feel obliged to write about it -- on that day.

I hope that your reader recovers and is released from the hospital soon. Ray

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Hi Ray,

She is home now making a full recovery from what I understand. She is an amazing woman! I appreciate your concern.

I agree with you on not needing to feel obligated to post about big events and anniversaries. I wasn't going to post anything about 9/11 but then it sort of just happened! Oh well.

An interesting thing about reading past posts is remembering why I wrote what I did when I wrote it.