Wednesday, October 6, 2010

It’s that time of year again

Halloween-decorations-and-Mom's-shoes-010

When the cobwebs in the windows are actually a desired look.  (clean the house much?)  When death and decay are in vogue.  Gwen calls all skulls pirates followed by a growly pirate argh! 

This is the time of year that people take time pretending to be someone or something else.  My kids are experts at imaginative play.  Give them a costume and they are in heaven.  Halloween is a child’s dream.  Costumes, free candy, a month of anticipatory activities. 

I find Halloween generally oversexualized, morbid, and weird.  Every year I am amazed that an entire country is ok with people disguising themselves before ringing the doorbell to beg for food.  That is so bizarre to me. 

But my kids love it so I celebrate under duress.  I like that word.  Duress.  It sounds so heavy and dramatic.  Like someone is threatening me in some way. 

Well, nobody is threatening me per se.  The duress comes from guilt seeping out of my children’s large, unblinking doe eyes.  So I don’t convert to Jehovah’s Witnessism.  Although this time of year really tempts me with their whole no celebrating holidays rule! 

The nice part of being a mom is that I decide how holidays are celebrated.  My kids are extremely frightened by the whole death and bloody carnage part of Halloween so we go for wide eyed cutesy with minimal decorations. 

Halloween-decorations-and-Mom's-shoes-003

This display is so cute I can’t believe I had anything to do with it!  I also can’t believe I never thought of using the mantel for decorations before.  Parker put the pumpkins on the table that we’ve always put them on and I knew that they wouldn’t last there with Gwen.  Last year I found pumpkins in the most random places because of her. 

It was the witch that inspired me.  I was ready to put her back in the box because I have too many decorations that need to be hung up and I don’t want to put a bunch of holes in the wall just for Halloween.  But then I remembered the screw in the brick over the mantel.  I removed all the pictures and went Halloween crazy putting all the decorations I have on the mantel.  Gavin made the water bottle ghost and the paper bowl spider at school last year.  I told the boys I expect them to make me some more decorations at school! 

By the way, both boys wondered if the witch had a face on the other side!  I told them that she was put together to look like she crashed into the wall.  The story inspired Gavin who put her in his creative writing homework assignment. 

Halloween-decorations-and-Mom's-shoes-005 

This cat makes me smile.  It reminds me of teaching and how a student’s mom painted it for me and delivered it to me with a bunch of donuts stacked on the tail.  I know I’ve related that memory before in another blog post but that’s what I think of when I see it.  Then I think of Parker swinging the cat around by the tail knocking the nose off on the tile entryway.  Two year old Parker was crazy! 

Halloween-decorations-and-Mom's-shoes-004

My mom bought my kids a huge Halloween coloring book last year.  There are no activities in the book, just coloring pages.  It’s going to last us at least until Gwen goes to kindergarten.  The kids color pages and hang them on the wall to add to the festiveness of our home right now. 

So maybe there isn’t a bitter taste in my mouth about Halloween right now.  Each year I’m softening.  But maybe I’m really rotting from the inside out!  Oh well.  For now, I’m ok with Halloween.  Sort of.  Don’t get the wrong idea about me.  I’m still celebrating under duress! 

0 thoughts: