Friday, November 19, 2010

Bountiful Blessings

A 10 day long break from school starts today.  After the afternoon I had yesterday I need it.  We all do.  Before the party really got started we had to meet with Gavin’s teacher.  This has been causing me much stress since the appointment was sent home. 

See, the kids are out of school today but what makes it weird is the fact that the conferences are only for at risk students.  I don’t know who the idiot I mean mastermind was behind this idea was but I don’t think it’s a great idea.  First of all, finding a babysitter was much harder than it should have been since everyone with model students are going out of town for the week long Thanksgiving break. 

Thankfully I finally found someone so Heath and I could both go to the conference.  I was nervous.  I love Gavin’s teacher.  Her parenting and teaching philosophy are the same as mine but as soon as someone looks at my kids wrong, especially Gavin, I turn into Mother Psychopath.  Forgetting to give her the benefit of the doubt I assumed the worst for this meeting. 

Boy was I wrong.  I am so thankful to be so completely wrong.  Too bad I spent any amount of time doubting a teacher I knew was perfect for him.  She didn’t tell us anything we didn’t already know about Gavin or his school performance.  It was the way she told us that makes me want to cry and hug her.  She could see his untapped potential and knew he was smart.  Which may sound strange unless your child has had a teacher who not only pointed out his flaws but went out of her way to exploit those imperfections.  Having a teacher not believe me when I say he’s smart has unfortunately made me doubt myself and his abilities more than I should have. 

This year’s teacher said he was smart.  That right there is worth everything to me.  Of course he’s smart.  He lacks focus and motivation sometimes.  One of her own children was very similar to Gavin.  She even said that some teachers would do things trying to help her child when in reality it was only making the problem worse.  That empathy and understanding really went a long way with me.  She celebrates his successes with us and encourages him to be better.  Ahh . . .

As if that wasn’t enough of a blessing for today, in the middle of that conference something happened that we have been waiting about a month for.  I don’t know why I don’t want to talk about it publically, but I don’t.  Not right now anyway.  Beautiful blessing number two. 

Today has been a really great day.  The blessings and miracles just keep happening.  It’s amazing what reading the scriptures daily can do for one’s outlook on life.  I am more spiritually minded and more aware of my blessings.  The ball is rolling with things that we have been dreaming of for a long time.  Life is good. 

I am so thankful for so many things.  I am very thankful I challenged myself to write what I am thankful for every day this month.  It has surprised even me how many blessings there are to be thankful for. 

0 thoughts: