Friday, November 5, 2010

Think Never is Enough

What if society celebrated mediocrity more often?  What if we stopped pressuring kids to aspire to being a doctor, lawyer, dentist, or rocket scientist and encouraged arbitrary jobs? 

There are jobs out there that I often wonder how anyone applies for it.  Like spy.  Or Disneyland character.  Who do you talk to about that job?  Or the voice on your voicemail.  “You have two new messages.”  Who has that job?  Ok, so it’s a computer but who was the lady who hated her life so much she spread her daily cheer with her condescendingly impatient voice, “If you’d like to make a call please hang up and dial again.  If you need help dial the operator.”  Who was that lady?  She always made me want to hug her. 

One of my friends growing up was the daughter of a garbage truck driver.  True story.  Her family was nice and they ate normal food and wore normal clothes that they shopped for same as anyone else.  So why all the stigma surrounding a blue collar job like picking up the trash? 

There is a new series on one of the PBS channels about The Big Apple Circus.  I have always wondered how anyone gets involved in the circus.  Where’s the job application for that one?  From what I saw it looked like most of the employees and entertainers came from a checkered past.  They said that the Circus is like a family which I really appreciated since my guess is they aren’t close to their biological families.  But part of me was a little concerned.  I read Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.  So I just have to wonder why anyone would even seek out the Circus as a job prospect. 

But that’s the beauty of it all.  If those people had made their mark in the medical community who would run the Circus?  And can you imagine life without the Circus?  Preposterous!

A neighbor of mine works for the “Pooh Pooh Plant,” as she lovingly refers to it.  I am not bothered by her job nor is she ashamed of it herself.  She said that for years she has been trying to get the local schools to do a field trip to the Pooh Pooh Plant.  Nobody has taken her up on that offer. The reason why is what kills me.  The teachers think that the students will use potty humor if they go there.  Stunning logic right?  I mean hello!  How about prepping the students ahead of time. 

Don’t the teachers freak out and make a big deal about field trips to the Symphony and tell the kids they have to dress up etc.  Why not take the teaching opportunity to explain a natural part of human life to the students?  And when they giggle uncontrollably over their own immature potty humor you tell them what any potty training mother would, “Those words are only to be used in the bathroom.  Get it out of your system now and when you are ready to use appropriate language then you can join us.”  What, like this is a hard concept?  But nobody will do the field trip.  For over 20 years.  Sad. 

I want to go.  I’m fascinated by anything not mainstream.  Is that a bad pun?  I didn’t mean for it to be.  I just think it could be interesting.  Did you know that Seattle is built on top of a sewer?  I think that’s a true story.  Something like that anyway.  Heath told me the story but now I’ve forgotten.  Maybe the next time we go there we can go  on the Seattle Underground Tour and I can learn about it firsthand. 

This song pretty much sums up what I’m saying.  I just love this song because I have worked many days in retail although I didn’t have to tell people anything just to make a sale.  I did that as a telemarketer.  One of those jobs I never thought I would ever do. 

I also never thought I would eat dog food posing as soup

spider-and-soup-007

but I’ve done it twice now. 

I think never is enough yeah never is enough.  You never have to do that stuff. 

IMG00098-20101105-1121

The world’s your oyster shell
But what’s that funny smell
You eat the bivalve anyway
you’re sick with salmonella
You get your Ph.D
How happy you will be
When you get a job at Wendy’s
And are honored with employee of the month

Today I am thankful that there are strange jobs in the world I know nothing about and that someone wanted to do that job.  We can't all be lawyers.  Someone has to be a driver's ed teacher.  I'm sure that's a fun job especially for a thrill seeker!

4 thoughts:

Dawn said...

Not really a sewer but there is an underground city. Very interesting story. http://www.undergroundtour.com/about/history.html

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks for the link. Heath supposedly proofread this post but he wasn't paying any attention to what he was reading. When he saw your comment he was confused since he didn't remember me saying anything about it in the post. It's ok. I fell asleep while he was talking to me twice today!

Fulkerson Clan said...

Evan is always telling me "i'm not going to college!" and i'm like "that's fine, there's plenty of good jobs out there that you don't need a degree for". for the longest time he wanted to be a plumber and i was totally all for that. whatever interests you i say! the different kinds of jobs out there fascinates me as well. i used to watch "dirty jobs" a lot, wondering how in the world maggot farming ever became a job...anyways, thanks for this post, i really enjoyed it!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I don't watch Dirty Jobs enough. The episodes I have seen are very interesting though. Maggot farming sounds fascinating. Does Evan still make you buy pipe every time you go to the home improvement store?