Sunday, November 7, 2010

We are Family

Grandma Holmes celebrated her birthday earlier this week.  Heath and I knew it was coming up and we both got so busy with life that we neglected her birthday.  Grandma, I hope you can forgive us. 

Grandma Holmes is such an amazing woman.  She is the poster child of Christlike love and service.  She also could be an ad for quitting smoking.  I remember asking Heath who the couple was in the picture hanging on his mom’s wall.  He told me it was his grandma and grandpa.  This floored me.  The woman in the picture looked older than the beautiful, selfless woman in another picture just above it, taken 20 some odd years later.  She has been through a lot in her life including being a widow and surviving cancer.  I find her zest for life inspiring.  Happy birthday Grandma!  Thank you for all you do to bless so many lives around you, especially ours.  We love you and hope you had a happy birthday. 

Sundays are great days to reflect on blessings.  Today I am thankful for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am thankful for the peace it brings.  I am especially thankful that the gospel provides a way for families to be together even after death.  I have been blessed with a great family – my own plus the one I married into, and of course the family Heath and I have created together. 

As promised here are the pictures from our photoshoot yesterday. 

s41019ca117948_46H-&-T

All because two people fell in love.  I like the first picture a lot more than the second but they are both pretty cute. 

s41019ca117948_41s41019ca117948_34s41019ca117948_36

Then we had these three little cuties. 

s41019ca117948_12

How precious right?  Those boys sure love their sister.

s41019ca117948_44

Gavin asked if he could get a picture with Gwen because he loves her so much.  The photographer was happy to do that.  And she mentioned later when I was picking out what I wanted prints of that it was obvious how much Gavin loved Gwen. 

s41019ca117948_37s41019ca117948_38

And what’s not to love?  She is cute whether she is smiling or not.  This girl is so spoiled rotten.  We can’t help it. 

s41019ca117948_26s41019ca117948_30

We have no idea why the photographer wanted to leave out one parent in some shots.  Heath joked that this is what our family would look like if one of us were to leave. 

s41019ca117948_29

But nobody is leaving.  It’s a laughable idea.  Something is funny anyway.  I don’t know what I’m busting a gut over here.  Probably the voices in my head. 

s41019ca117948_5

We tell the kids all the time that it takes five people to make up a basketball team.  This is our team.  Cute right?  I should have fixed the shadow on Gavin’s chin in this picture.  I was told it would be fixed before it was turned into a print. 

Family seems like such a clich√© thing to be thankful for but it’s not.  Not everyone gets along with their families and some families are downright awful to each other.  I often think about a note one of very best friends gave me in junior high.  I confided in her about my home life and she told me that when I grew up I could have whatever family I wanted.  Never in a million years would I have imagined this.  Being married to Heath, who defies description he is so wonderful, my angelic kids – ok not always!  I am their mother after all!  I come from a family that stubbornly stuck out the rough times in search of happier times, which we have found in our own way.  And I love my in laws.  How many people can honestly say that?  They love me too which is mind blowing sometimes.  They love me unconditionally.  It’s very humbling. 

Family, the gospel, and my testimony of the gospel are what I am most thankful for today.  Yes, I realize I have said that multiple times in this post.  I am truly blessed. 

4 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

Beautiful post and beautiful pics! I love your family so so much. And I love how my kids BOTH love to sleep with their Tristan blankets every night.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Becca! You're so sweet.

mintifresh said...

Great pics! You all look fantastic!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Mindi!