Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Words

Words are very powerful. 

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will always hurt me. 

Remember that one?  Of course kids say it as “words will never hurt me” to save face and appear manly in front of taunters – the very people who have the gift of reducing someone to tears just with words

Words can also inspire.  Some people just have a knack for arranging words in such a way to bring out the best in another. 

Words are a way to travel, whether in time or place.  Ever read a book or hear a story and feel like you were actually there?  The only pictures to be seen are the ones painted in your heart through words. 

Words are timeless.  Isn’t it amazing how words that were written centuries ago can still have such meaning now?  Recently I read something, written centuries before the birth of Christ, and felt my heart leap inside me.  These same words used to fill me with an ignored guilt not too many years ago.  What caused the change?  Words.  Words were exchanged and a change of heart took place that caused written words to brighten my soul that once struck a dull chord with my conscience. 

Language, words, are essential to developing babies.  Some parents will read,sing, or talk to their unborn baby and of course they will continue this after the child is born.  Nursery Rhymes are very popular because they expose children to language in an interesting, rhythmic way. 

The best way for a child to pick up another language is to immerse them in it.  Put the child in between the two most talkative kids in the class and watch how quickly the language is picked up. 

Words are amazing.  A series of letters with corresponding sounds can evoke deep emotional responses.  Simply marvelous. 

The absence of words speaks volumes.  Astounding. 

Despite what most people think, tone can be conveyed in emails.  One should be careful with their word choice because tone is often lost in writing but a knee jerk email can definitely convey tone!  

In English the same word can have multiple meanings.  Context is everything.  And spelling often counts. 

Speaking of spelling, I see words in my head.  I know which Amy, Sarah, or Rebecca I’m talking about based on how their name is spelled.  I see the name in my mind.  Is that weird?

Words are a craft.  Word choice and usage can be based on definition or aesthetic beauty.  Punctuation plays into it as well. 

Words are my life.  They are the air I breathe.  I have stopped my words for prolonged periods of time for one reason or another and then one day a dam broke.  Congested words spilled out toppling over one another.  Ugly words.  Beautiful words.  Boring words.  The trick is putting them together in a meaningful way.  Kind of like a game of Tetris. 

I am thankful for words.  I hope you learned something about words or at least thought about words in a different way.

2 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

I don't see words in my head, but I see the yearly calendar. It's this weird circular thing that I just keep going around every year. I can "see" mid-November. It helps me plan my weeks out, haha! But it's also annoying sometimes...

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Very interesting Becca. When I was pregnant I could see the calendar in my mind but I think it was because I memorized my weeks and what appointments I had. It made planning things pretty easy. Now I agree to all kinds of things and find out later I double booked myself. My flakiness is annoying to me.