Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Birthday Wishes

If wishes were dreams and dreams could be wishes . . . I don’t know, it sounds like a lot of wishful thinking to me! 

It’s that time of year again.  The day I get one year older.  It keeps happening and I don’t know how to stop it.  The best I can figure is that the older I get the more math I do and since I don’t do math in my head I rarely know how old I am.  This is a good thing.  Who needs to know how old they really are?  It’s all in how old you feel. 

Yesterday I felt really old.  In fact, for several days now I have been aware of my birthday and the fact that I would be turning *gasp* 33 years old.  For several days I have been in a muddy state of depression over it.  Stupid right?  We all have our breaking point I guess.  Mine is 33.  Being 29 was awesome, 30 was no big deal and maybe even welcomed, 31 and 32 were just adding to the flirty 30’s.  Now I’m 33.  I’m old.  The face staring back at me in the mirror resembles an old hag more than it resembles any sense of reality. 

At the end of the day, a birthday is more than a reminder of time passing.  It’s about the people and wishes.  And occasionally the crazy conversation of people wondering about your wishes. 

Gavin:  What do you want for your birthday?
Me:  I don’t know . . .
Heath:  She wants a picture you can draw.
Me:  Ok, I want some roses.  (thinking Gavin could just draw them)
Parker:  She wants a Barbie doll.
Me:  I want a Barbie doll?
Parker:  You know you play with Barbies when we go to bed!
Heath and Me: ????????
Me:  I changed my mind, Gavin.  I want big purple underwear!
Gavin whispering across the table:  Dad, how am I going to get that?

Well, I didn’t get big purple underwear.  But my phone has been ringing off the hook today with birthday wishes from people who love me.  My email box even sent me some fun birthday wishes too.  And secret wishes are twinkling brighter than the stars I wish on.  I feel so loved.  For a day I have been dreading this year, my birthday has turned out to be wonderful after all. 

happy-birthday-mom-004happy-birthday-mom-002

I’m so glad I could have a birthday for my kids to thoroughly enjoy.

happy-birthday-mom-006

My present from this one was that he slowed down long enough to pose for this picture. 

Here’s to another year of me!

5 thoughts:

Jenni said...

Happy Birthday! I think 33 will be ok, I just turned 29 and I'm dreading the big 3-0!!! Wow, we aren't the newly wed young couples that we used to be, but I like what you said, "you're only as old as you feel". (Except on the days I feel 80!) ;)

Jenni said...

P.S. I would love to send you some big, purple underwear. Hmmmm...lol

Sherron said...

So... 'playing with Barbies' is the phrase for what you do when the kids go to bed? Creative!

You'd better watch out, Santa might give you some purple undies in your stocking! That story was so cute! "How am I going to get that?" So funny!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I forgot how young you are Jenni! I love that being married with kids makes age insignificant. Don't stress over 30. It's a fun age. And don't send me any big purple underwear unless it fits two people at once. You know, BIG purple underwear! My family tells each other we got them big purple underwear for a gift. I don't know why but it's become a weird tradition.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Sherron, once again your comment made me laugh! One day you and I will have to meet in person.

Anyway, the Barbie thing is not a euphamism for anything. I vaguely remember having a conversation with Parker about what I do after he goes to bed. He didn't seem to buy what I really do which is watch TV until I pass out on the couch then go to bed. So I told him I play with toys and that Barbies are my favorite. I had no idea he would remember that!

I need to stop making up crazy stories for my kids because they take me seriously but it's how I was raised so the "lies" just come out without me thinking. Gavin thinking I really wanted big purple underwear is a case in point.