Monday, December 6, 2010

Gift Giving

Tis the season to give gifts.  With only two weeks until school lets out for Winter Break we’re all looking for some creative ideas for school friends, so spill!  What ideas do you have for children’s friends?  What were some of your most memorable gifts from your school friends? 

The best gift I ever gave, or at least the one gift I gave that I had the most fun with was Lust cologne for men.  A cheap bottle of Musk cologne for men from MacFrugal’s (now Big Lots!) where I worked, some paper and tape, and I had Lust cologne.  It’s possible I had more fun making it for my shy friend I had no romantic interest in than he had receiving it.  We all had a good laugh over it though which was all I wanted. 

I would have to say the best school friend gift I ever received was years before high school and the last story I shared.  I was in second grade and my “boyfriend” Erik R. gave me hair clips.  My face was probably some deep shade of mottled purple with a goofy grin.  I have never forgotten that gift or how embarrassed and thrilled I was that the boy who I held hands with at recess would give me a Christmas gift. 

Your turn . . .

4 thoughts:

Sherron said...

For something simple, I always liked candy canes. You can decorate them to look like a reindeer, glue two together to make a heart, or cut felt and make it look like a mouse.

We didn't really do a lot of friend gifts until I was in Jr High. One of my favorite gifts was a gag gift from my friend. She found a mustard yellow sweatshirt that was just awful to look at. She gave the story about how she splurged and spent more than she intended to, but couldn't help it because this was perfect for me and she couldn't wait to see me wearing it. When I saw the shirt I was horrified, but I was polite, faked enthusiasm and thanked her profusely . Her poker face finally broke and we had a great laugh!

I feel mean now, but I really enjoyed giving my 10 year old brother a Barbie (the $1 store version). I alternated a layer of wrapping paper with a layer of duct tape. I think that I put about 10 layers over that doll. And then I put it in a maxi pad box (no wrapping paper on the box, just a bow). He took the Barbie and put her in the bathtub face down to drown her.

Just for the record, I had a real gift to give to him after he suffered through the gag gift.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks for the ideas. I've done the reindeer candy cane thing before. That's always cute. I love your gag gift stories. Those are funny!

Dawn said...

The best friend gift I ever got was a book when everyone else got a necklace. What book? Jesus the Christ. My wonderful friend was inviting me to learn of the Gospel and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints. By spring I had joined the church and have never regretted it. I would not have my wonderful family and such a happy marriage if it were not for the Gospel. You too are among those many blessings.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I didn't know that part of your story Dawn. That is a really cool gift that changed your life. What a great friend.