Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Jury Duty

For years I was the kind of person who never wanted to serve on jury duty and would think of any way to get out of it.  After a really obnoxious experience with jury duty summons in college I stopped registering to vote for many years. 

I guess it’s about time I was finally summoned for jury duty.  The good news was my date was today.  It’s good news because Heath has this week off of work so we didn’t have to rearrange our lives for me to do my civic duty.  When I received the summons in the mail I realized I had softened considerably in the 10 plus years since my last summons for jury duty.  I was actually willing to do it.  Wouldn’t I want a college educated person on my jury if, heaven forbid, I should have to have a trial by jury? 

Last night I tried to check in online.  One way told me nobody was needed for the 9:00 am roll call and to call between 11:00 and 12:00 today.  Another way sent me into a dead end.  So I called.  The computer guy told me to call back after 5:00 pm the night before my date.  Uh, I thought I was.  I called several times getting the same message.  I called this morning and got the same message. 

Remember how I freak out about going places out of my routine?  I was dying not knowing what was going on.  I was willing to serve on a jury, especially after the car accident just a few days ago, but I did not want to imagine the panic attack of getting there.  The courthouse is in Oakland and I would have to take BART.  By myself.  Can you say my heart was racing all day?  I called one more time and my instructions were to call back between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm tomorrow!

I called the office number listed to ask what gives since my instructions seemed to be for tomorrow when according to my paper I was supposed to be in court today.  The guy said in a surprised voice that I was supposed to be in a different courthouse than what I called.  Then he pulled up my number and told me that I was supposed to call back between 11:00 and 12:00.  He tried to end the call so I clarified.  “You want me to call after 11:00 today?”  “Uh, yes.” 

It was a very tense 30 minute wait but I called back and my instructions were that my group was dismissed and our service was over.  Holy huge sigh of relief!  I am free and clear for another year.  I have got to take a breath long enough to find a mental health professional!  Just give me the drugs so I can be a normal human being!

4 thoughts:

Chantalle Bishop said...

I just check the option that I am the primary caregiver to my children so then they excuse me automatically :)

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I thought of doing that but I felt guilty since Gwen is almost 3 now. It's not like she's a baby anymore. If it were for a day where Heath would have to take the day off to take kids to school and what not I think I would have used that excuse.

mintifresh said...

I wish I had the chance to be on a jury when all I would miss was work. I think it would be fascinating but now it would be too hard if I got called up.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I know Mindi. Doing the at home mom thing makes jury duty really difficult. It would be interesting though.