Monday, January 3, 2011

World of Color

The first time we went to Disneyland the World of Color was under construction.  We were pretty excited to see it this time around.  It’s a free outside show at California Adventure but if you purchase picnics you can get priority seating.  We were grateful that the night we were supposed to see it the show was not canceled due to rain. 

The picnics were the most expensive food we bought on our trip for what we got.  Each meal was around $18 and it was little more than a snack.  I was irritated when we bought the food online ahead of time and even less thrilled when Heath picked it up the night we planned to watch the show.  But I was kind of a grumpy guss that night.  I did a lot of walking, plans changed suddenly, and my blood sugar was dropping fast.  Perfect recipe for crankiness.  We rushed over to the Grand Californian to scarf down our picnics before racing to the show.  I ate every last bit of carbs my meal offered and luckily the dessert had plenty to bring my blood sugar back up. 

All grumpiness aside, I’m glad we got the picnics.  The food was good there just wasn’t a lot of it.  They came in these really awesome bags with handles that came in handy throughout the rest of the trip.  The kids got cool bracelets as part of their picnics.  The bracelets were different colors.  Gavin got blue (and then lost it. I guess we should have clipped it to his belt loop like we did with Gwen’s.), Gwen got red, and Parker of course had to have green.  A push of a small button inside the bracelet made them light up.  So cool. 

Before the show started the people standing next to us were talking.  The girl asked about the show and her significant other was saying it was not that great.  He said they could do the same thing in their backyard with their hose, some lights and music, and fire.  I kind of thought he was kidding but it was hard to tell.  The show was much more spectacular than what he described.  Thank goodness. 

Christmas-in-Disneyland-088Christmas-in-Disneyland-089

Think Bellagio in Las Vegas on steroids.   The water feature at the Bellagio is synchronized sprinklers set to music.  It’s pretty spectacular if you’ve ever seen it but the World of Color was beyond words. 

 

Christmas-in-Disneyland-093

There was music and synchronized sprinklers.  There were colorful lights.  The most amazing part was the movie clips projected onto sheets of water. 

 

Christmas-in-Disneyland-094Christmas-in-Disneyland-095

Then there was fire.  Not like the little fireballs on the strip in Las Vegas.  No, we’re talking huge fireballs that gave off intense heat and we were standing pretty far back as you can see in the following video.  It was an incredible show.  I thought it would last for 15 minutes or so.  It was much longer than 15 minutes.  Maybe an hour.  I don’t know how long it ended up being but it was well worth the effort to get there. 

Heath shot this video with Gwen on his shoulders so if it’s a little shaky in parts that’s why.  Of all the video clips they did I thought the Tron Legacy part was the most crisp and easy to see.  So this is actually a great part of the show to have captured on video.  This was one of the final parts of the show so you can see how it’s kind of building up to a grand finale. 

Heath took the boys to see Tron Legacy after we got back home.  Gavin had been anxiously waiting to see the movie for a long time and he loved it.  He loved that Santa gave him a Tron Legacy shirt in his stocking too.  Parker liked the movie but he’s 5 so he thought it was really long.  Gwen was very upset that she didn’t get to go.  It reminded me of when my grandma took me to see Bambi when I was 5.  My aunt and uncle took my brother to see ET and I was not invited.  I was crushed so Grandma took me to see Bambi, just the two of us.  Gwen and I watched Beauty and the Beast and had lunch together.  Who needs boys or Tron?  Not us! 

2 thoughts:

Dawn said...

The world of color was spectacular! I just wish they had better viewing arrangements. I want to go back to school and become one of those engineers who work all that out. How amazing would that be?

The Piquant Storyteller said...

That would be pretty amazing and I have no doubt you would come up with a better viewing arrangement. It sure was a great show!