Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Big But

“Everyone has a big but.  Let’s talk about your big but!”  Pee Wee Herman

That line is much funnier out loud.  Darn homonyms!  Anyway, I wanted to talk about my big but. 

I don’t give injections anymore but

I do poke my fingers every day with lancets

and every other day I let my husband poke me with a needle. 

The needle is actually quite small in length as well as circumference but

it’s going into my body where sometimes I don’t feel a thing and sometimes

I think it touches my spleen.

I used to poke myself with the medieval torture device but

like Mos Def in the Italian Job, I had a bad experience.  So we have a deal.  Heath keeps me alive while promising never to die himself. 

The approved sites for nefarious poking are fatty areas of the body like backs of arms, sides of thighs, stomach, and butt.

My thighs stopped working for me pretty early on with injections so I switched to my arms but

now that I wear a pump I don’t want to thread the tubing through my clothes and I don’t really want to bother with getting a different brand of pump without the tubing.  I’m lazy and set in my ways.  So

stomach it is but

I was getting tired of leftover marks all over my stomach that itch and look bad.  Funny!  Like I run around in belly baring clothing!  Anyway, I started to notice that my left side, the side I prefer to have my sites in since I prefer to wear my pump on my right hip, was bigger than the right side.  Can you say scar tissue? 

So one day I had this weird idea.  I was looking at my hips and thought hey, why not?  Heath poked my hip and it didn’t even hurt but

I started feeling pain with every bolus and by the last day it was really itching and hurting and I couldn’t wait to change the site.  It’s not attractive to scratch your abdomen but

it’s certainly cause for staring when you’re scratching your *ahem* behind.

Ok, so I wasn’t really scratching my derrière.  It was annoyingly painful though. 

Because I’m a glutton for punishment I let Heath poke the other hip.

And it hurt.  Like crazy.  Like worse than the three c-sections I’ve had including the staples that were left in too long after the last c-section that pinched really bad when the doctor pulled them out and I thought they were rusty it stung and pinched so much.  Worse than breaking my arm and back in the same day.  It hurt worse than anything I have ever felt and I wondered why I would allow anyone to do anything so mean to me but

Heath isn’t mean and he never wants to hurt me and he felt really bad about it. 

Today it doesn’t really hurt anymore but

I’m afraid that tomorrow it will start to itch and hurt again.  What if I’m allergic to insulin?  Maybe.  More likely I just have an aversion to having things poked in me that are meant to stay for 2-3 days at a time infusing insulin I may or may not be allergic to. 

That was fun.  Tell me about your big but!

4 thoughts:

Dawn said...

I don’t like needles myself BUT I shoot myself six times a day. That is just crazy. I have become so insulin resistant that I take too much insulin to use a pump so it is six times a day. I have no problem whatsoever finding a fatty place to shoot myself BUT lines of bruises across my stomach and thighs are definitely less that appealing. BUT if I want to stay alive I will have to learn to live with it.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Great BUTs Dawn! I love the last one the best. "BUT if I want to stay alive I will have to learn to live with it." I guess life is more precious than preferences of how we live it. I'm not glad we're diabetic but I am glad we understand each other as diabetics.

Michael Hoskins said...

Great post! I am not thankful for diabetes itself, BUT I am thankful for all that it's given me in the wonderful support and friendship in the ever-expanding Diabetes Online Community!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks for the comment Michael. Sorry I haven't replied to you sooner, I've not been on the computer for a while.

I agree with you about the Diabetes Online Community. I owe a lot of my success to them, including my weight loss!