Friday, February 4, 2011

Children’s Discovery Museum

Imagination is more important than knowledge. 
~ Albert Einstein

If a child is to keep alive his sense of wonder, he needs the companionship of at least one adult who can share it, rediscovering with him the joy, excitement, and mystery of the world we live in.
~ Rachel Carson

Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.
~ Lady Bird Johnson

There are no seven wonders in the eyes of a child.  There are seven million.
~ Walt Streightiff

These are a few of the many quotes displayed at the Children’s Discovery Museum in San Jose.  I’m a quote person and I thought these were really good.  Have I mentioned lately that I love being a mom and I love love love the stage my kids are in?  I love watching their little minds work.  I love watching them problem solve.  I love that Parker taught himself how to use our universal remote control.  That boy is a problem solver.  I love that Gavin told me the other day that he wants to be a web designer when he grows up.  Maybe he can fix all the bad sites out there.  I love that Gwen grunts when she picks up her dolls and says, “Oh my gosh!  You’re so heavy!”  Hysterical. 

The Children’s Discovery Museum in San Jose boasts that it is one of the largest museums of its kind in the nation.  I have been to a few different discovery museums over the years and this one is actually really good.  The Seattle Science Center may not be considered a discovery museum but if it is it has to be the largest in the country.  That place is very cool. 

We spent a couple hours in the San Jose CDM.  It was a lot of fun.  There was a lot of fun things for the kids to do.  We spent the most time in the wet areas like the bubble area and the water area.  Gwen loved the bubbles but hated the water.  She has hated getting wet from the beginning.  She used to scream bloody murder throughout every bath as an infant.  Now it’s hard to talk her into taking a bath but once she’s in it’s hard to get her out.  She still hates having her hair washed because she doesn’t like having her head or face get wet.  So you can imagine how unhappy she was with the water area in the CDM.  There were plastic smocks for the kids to keep them drier.  Gwen was mad any time her smock got wet. 

One water feature made her particularly upset.  Kids would feed balls up tubes a la drive in banking style and the balls would stack up in another tube.  When the kids felt like there were enough balls stacked then they would pull the rope and all the balls would splash out.  Gwen’s hair was wet from that and she was not happy.  So that’s why you see several angry Gwen pictures in the video. 

My mom said she was busy watching balls feed through tubes and shoot out.  She was so enthralled with the whole process that she realized she was jumping and clapping even though there was not a single child around.  She laughed saying she was a grown woman clapping like a child with delight.  I thought that was cute.  That’s the fun part of these museums.  Sometimes the adults get into the action more than the kids. 

Heath was a huge hit with the spinning disks.  He got a disk  going right away so every dad in the area would pass him the disks hoping he would get it going for their kid.  Some older kids were able to figure out how to get the disks going but for the most part Heath was a very popular one man show. 

It was lunchtime before we had fully explored everything.  We had our hands stamped in case we had time to come back but I kind of knew we wouldn’t have time.  Maybe we could have gone back if we didn’t spend 2 hours at lunch with our gallivanting waiter.  Gwen loved the frog stamp on her hand so much I had to hold her other hand to walk across the busy street to the parking lot.  Such a girl.  I love it.  She also chose her outfit that day.  Ok, so she picks her clothes every day but she insisted on that skirt and shirt.  The skirt has been making more appearances lately as the weather starts to warm up. 

This post has turned kind of rambly and pointless.  Oh well.  We had so much fun with Grandma and I had a lot of fun making the video.  The boys saw what I was doing last night and they got very excited.  “Are you making another baby movie!”  I need to make them another one.  A friend of mine said that with digital cameras everyone has so many pictures of their kids that the kids will never forget their childhood.  I hope mine never do.  We’re sure enjoying the journey.

0 thoughts: