Thursday, March 17, 2011

Top o’ the Mornin to Ya!

Happy St. Patrick’s Day everyone.  This is one of the strangest holidays to me.  I’m not Catholic nor am I Irish so I don’t understand the purpose behind St. Patrick’s day.  I’m sure that originally it had a purpose greater than green, leprechauns, pinching, and drinking.  Oh and people suddenly swearing they’re Irish and therefore worthy of some kissing action.  I don’t get that. 

I don’t get a lot of holidays.  Why should a worthy cause or event be reduced to mythical creatures or shameless sales?  Whatever.  Thank heavens I have kids to help me get in the spirit of things right?  So here come the pictures and cute stories! 

Farnsworth-speech-and-St.-Patty-hair-004Farnsworth-speech-and-St.-Patty-hair-006

Since I’m taking pictures of all the hairstyles I’m doing to keep Gwen’s hair out of her face while she has this cold, this is how she started the morning.  Gavin was giving a speech/report on Philo T. Farnsworth that I will post about later.  We were going to watch him in his classroom.  Getting four people ready by 8:00 am is not as easy as one might think especially since I’m in the habit of only dressing everyone and hair comes later.  So Gwen got a ponytail that was really fluffy from yesterday’s braids.  The ponytail was super cute and I would have left it that way but I found a festive style I wanted to try. 

Farnsworth-speech-and-St.-Patty-hair-007Farnsworth-speech-and-St.-Patty-hair-016Farnsworth-speech-and-St.-Patty-hair-014

Holy cuteness right?  This was my first attempt.  I found the link yesterday and sent it to a friend who absolutely loved all the hearts I did in Gwen’s hair in February.  She had fun doing hearts for her 4th grader for the class Valentine’s party.  As soon as I got home from Gavin’s speech this morning I went to work on Gwen.  Can I just say this turned out so much cuter than I ever imagined!  I can’t get over how darling it is.  I can’t wait to take Parker to school so everyone can see Gwen’s hair! 

Now on to something different.  A standard kindergarten assignment is a leprechaun trap.  I think the idea is to have it be a family activity.  Parker only had two homework assignments last week and the trap that was due yesterday.  This week he had no homework probably so the kids had time to finish the trap.  He finished his homework and asked about the trap.  I told him to wait until his dad got home.  He didn’t want to wait.  So I gave him some paper to design the trap since that was part of the assignment.  When he was done with the picture he didn’t want to wait for his dad.  He pulled out his Lego’s and built it himself. 

That’s Parker’s style.  His impatience and curios nature make him really self reliant.  He loves figuring things out on his own.  I have learned that when it comes to homework he wants to do everything himself.  That is an admirable quality especially in a little 5 year old kindergartener.  So he built his own trap and was very proud of his work.  I was a little embarrassed to take it to school yesterday with all the other kids and their perfect little working traps. 

hair,-trap,-Mr.-Farnsworth-012hair,-trap,-Mr.-Farnsworth-013hair,-trap,-Mr.-Farnsworth-014

This is Parker’s trap.  He is convinced that if leprechauns really do exist one will get into the trap but never think to crawl out the back of it.  He is really into the whole idea of leprechauns and St. Patrick’s Day.  He wanted to wear green pajamas to bed in case a leprechaun pinched him in his sleep!  He was dying waiting for today when he could finally wear his favorite t-shirt – a green Toy Story 3 shirt. 

hair,-trap,-Mr.-Farnsworth-015

Parker was so proud of his trap.  I was too.  It was all his idea and I think he did a good job.  Gotta love how we were so busy making signs to tempt the leprechaun to disobey that I forgot to comb his hair yesterday!  Oh well. 

The parents were impressed with Parker’s trap.  I got a lot of comments and compliments.  Apparently he was the only one who made his out of Lego’s.  One of his friends said he would use Lego’s but his parents must have talked him into doing something else.  Parker is definitely embracing the whole kindergarten experience.  It’s really fun.  It’s almost turning me into a holiday convert!  Hair blogs sure help. 

8 thoughts:

sugarpierdh said...

Holy Cuteness!!! Gwen's hair turned out SO cute!
Yay Parker!! I love the leprechaun trap. It's so creative.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Candi. I love Gwen's hair. She is the talk of the town! Parker's class is nuts right now! His teacher would have been fine with Gwen and me staying but I couldn't handle the chaos so we came home for some lunch and a little TV Pandora.

Happy Mom said...

Holy cute hair!!! How long did it take to do and how did you get her to hold still so you could?

Love the trap!! So creative!!!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks JoLyn. It took me about 15 minutes to do. I have been doing Gwen's hair since she was born. She came out with a lot of hair! I always give her something to play with or eat and I work fast. Now that she's older and is used to me doing her hair she will sit still for me to do a lot of fun things. It helps when I tell her what I'm doing and tell her she'll be pretty if she can cooperate. She's a girly girl so that's about all it takes.

The trap was a lot of fun for Parker to make. Do your kids make traps? I don't remember ever making a leprechaun trap.

Dawn said...

I never would have believed shamrock hair. Only too cute. I love how creative and independent Parker is.

Here is your St. Patrick ’s Day joke:
Why should you never iron a four leaf clover?
You should not press your luck!
My sixth graders groaned too.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I know! Who would've thunk shamrock hair? Parker is really creative and independent but he's also really cuddly. He's kind of a fun little guy.

Your joke actually made me laugh out loud. Ok, maybe not the joke as much as your line that your 6th graders groaned too! Funny!

Becca Jane said...

WOW, I'm SOOO impressed! You need to come do Roo's hair for me! I get all proud of myself when her pigtails aren't lopsided! You rock!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I'm laughing out loud at your comment Becca! If it makes you feel any better I used to feel the same way. Doing baby hair is hard but keep it up because the older she gets and the longer her hair grows the more creative things you can do with it.