Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What would you do?

The elementary school produces yearbooks every year.  They are $25 each.  In my humble opinion Winking smileI don’t think they’re worth the price.  After paying for yearbooks the last two years and being disappointed in the quality, I decided not to do it this year.  I will happily pay the therapy bills because my children don’t have a paperback magazine reminding them of their elementary school years.  They’ll be ok.  There’s always Facebook if they really need to keep in touch with kids they knew when they were 5! 

Today is Red Robin day so Red Robin was at the school along with parent volunteers passing out the flyers for people to use to have 15% of the bill go to the school.  Parker’s teacher had let the class out late today.  Gwen had sneezed yellow snot all over her hands and I didn’t have a tissue so I got one from the teacher.  Those two variables made us much later than usual walking to the back of the school to pick up Gavin. 

Gwen and I had walked past Red Robin on the way to get Parker.  I’ve seen Red Robin at the school before and I’ve seen kids go up to hug him and whatnot.  I did not know that a parent volunteer takes pictures of the kids with Red Robin.  Since we were so late leaving the kindergarten area the crowds had died down considerably.  As we walked past Red Robin the kids were all excited to see him.  My friend asked her kids if they wanted to say hi.  So I told Parker he could say hi too.  Then the parent volunteers asked the kids if they wanted to pose for a picture.  So I shoved Gwen in there really fast. 

The parent took the picture and my friend asked about the pictures.  The parent said they go in the yearbook.  I kind of knew that’s what was going on.  So now I don’t know what to do.  I almost feel obligated to buy two yearbooks because I know my kids and their friends were photographed with Red Robin.  Then again, I can’t guarantee the picture will be in the book.  I’m sure several pictures were taken today.  Who’s to say which one they’ll pick?  Gavin did have a couple cameo appearances in last year’s book. 

So what would you do?  Would you buy the books, which probably cost more than $25 apiece now?  Or would you stick to your guns?  Vote on my poll and/or leave a comment. 

Do my kids really need to have sloppy signatures from their classmates from kindergarten and second grade to treasure forever?  Gavin hasn’t even looked at his yearbooks since he brought them home for the final time on the last day of school.  Do I really need to pay $50 or more for one photograph of Parker and Gwen and their little friends?  Am I just the worst mom ever!  By the way, we’re not going to Red Robin tonight.  We went last week since Heath was invited to a special business dinner.  I will be cooking tonight.  Cross your fingers I don’t burn dinner like the last time I was solo. 

4 thoughts:

Dawn said...

I vote a huge NO on grade school year books! How crazy is that? I am not convinced we need Middle school year books at $25 dollars a piece and I sure don't buy one. No year book, no Red Robin. Stick to your guns!

Ray Colon said...

Hi Tristan,

I agree with Dawn. I wouldn't buy one either. To me, it's just another way to squeeze another dime (or 250 dimes) out of parents. I bought it one year and was disappointed. I couldn't even tell you where it is now.

Ray

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Dawn,

My parents bought me the junior high yearbooks but they were low quality and not important to me. High school yearbooks are a little different I guess. I was on the yearbook staff my sophomore year of high school so that book has my name engraved on it - for free since I was a staff member.

I think my blog is enough memories for my kids. They don't need 13 yearbooks by the time they graduate.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Ray,

I wasn't sure where Gavin's yearbooks ended up. I did find one. It is a way to nickle and dime parents as if schools don't do enough of that!