Friday, April 22, 2011

Isn’t it Ironic?

Isn’t it ironic that a singer would make her rise to fame through lyrics that are nothing more than rhyming clichés set to music?  Good for her for doing it though.  Alanis Morissette was popular.

Actually the irony I feel I need to point out is the fact that I went out of my way to post that I wasn’t going to post anymore for a while and then I only missed one day.  Should I be embarrassed about that?  I’m going to go with no this time.  It’s my blog and I can do whatever I want on it! 

Believe it or not I didn’t write the post in some desperate way to fish for compliments or see which readers cared enough to comment.  I was surprised anyone commented at all.  I thought it would be one of those posts that silently sit in the blogosphere.  Even though I posted with no expectations I felt warm and fuzzy that so many people cared! 

The nice thing about that post, the reason why I wrote it, was that that the pressure was off.  This is not a performance for anyone but sometimes I feel like I need to write something to get out of my head and I sit down and nothing comes out.  That’s frustrating.  So after a few forced posts and more whiny narcissistic posts than I should have written I threatened to pull the plug for a while.  Ironically the joy of writing returned with a bonus of several cool writing prompts from my mom.  Maybe it wasn’t that ironic though.  Maybe we all saw that one coming. 

Life is not a movie.  I do my best to make my normal life exciting but sometimes it’s just normal.  You can’t order it in neat little categories to write about on a schedule and you can’t order drama, comedy, or tear jerking moments.  It’s life . . . according to me. 

5 thoughts:

Sherron said...

I was wondering if you knew what a 'blogcation' was! As Inigo Montoya would say "I do not think it means what you think it means".

I know of a lot of bloggers who get burned out and start forcing posts. A break is so healthy (even if it only lasts a day or two!) Just giving yourself permission to blog when you feel like it is what you needed!

My mom was driving to the airport for her very first flight (she was 50) and that song came on. She didn't appreciate the humor of the line "he waited his whole life just to take that flight. When the plane crashed down he thought Well isn't that nice"

Ray Colon said...

Hi Vizzini,

I think that Sherron made the right call with Inigo Montoya's quote. :)

I laugh, but I understand the feeling of sliding away the keyboard every once in a while. As much as I would like to post more often, I just can't make it happen. I sit down to write almost every day, but I'm my toughest critic, so most of the things that I write never make it onto my blog.

There have been times where it all seems so easy, but those periods are short-lived.

Should you feel embarrassed by your "not posting for a while" post? Absolutely not. It's what you were feeling when you wrote it. We're allowed to change our minds.

Ray

Becca Jane said...

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I will do a post where I think it's sort of boring, and I'll get lots of comments. THEN I do a post where I think I will get lots of comments and I get none or just a couple. Oh well. In the end, it's all just for me and my family anyway. I write almost EVERY post envisioning my children sitting around reading them when they are all grown.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Sherron and Ray,

http://youtu.be/D58LpHBnvsI
Your comments made me laugh!

I think the blogcation post did what it was supposed to do. Maybe a blogcation, whether it's a day or a month or a year, is the new Liquid Plumber for writer's block. What do you think?

Vizzini

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Becca,

You and I blog for a lot of the same reasons - to capture daily life for posterity. It's for me and my little family. In the end that's all that matters.