Friday, April 8, 2011

True Confessions–The Laundry Edition

“It’s Thanksgiving!  Not truth day!”
~ Ross Gellar on Friends

Today is neither Thanksgiving nor truth day.  It’s not even laundry day!  What’s up with that? 

My kids don’t have official chores.  I know I know.  It’s a control issue with me.  I’m trying to get over it especially since I’m averaging a week or more to get laundry done.  That includes washing it, drying it, then actually removing the clothing from the dryer and folding it, then thinking about putting it away.  Sometimes I put a nice floral arrangement on the pile since it has become part of the décor.  I’m kidding. 

The kids wonder where something is and I tell them it’s in the dryer.  The laundry room seems to be our new walk in closet/mudroom/laundry room. I’ve thought about putting up a bar in the laundry room and just hanging things on it.  Maybe get a large dresser to put clothes in.  But there’s no room.  The dryer sure makes a great dresser.  Nothing is folded in it but it holds the clothing really well.  The light even comes on when you open the door.  How nice is that?  Now if the laundry room was on the same floor as the bedrooms that would be even better.  As it is now we’re all streaking through the house looking for something in the dryer.  I’m kidding. 

Parker helped me fold laundry today.  He has always been a helpful one and I love it.  I told Gwen to put her clothes away.  I was putting some towels away when I saw that she had walked her nicely folded clothes up to her room and dropped them on the floor.  I had to laugh.  My mom used to hand me my folded laundry and ask me to put it away.  I couldn’t be bothered with it so I would put it back in the hamper.  I think I used to put my shirts in my sister’s diaper pail with her soiled cloth diapers.  I don’t know how I’ve suppressed the memory until now but that is truly disturbing!  My poor mom.  She tried with me.  She really did.  Unfortunately this paragraph is all true. 

2 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

I love folding, but i HATE putting them away! We have to use a laundry room 2 stairwells down for a dryer (but we have a washer in our apartment), so I can't really leave clothes there. But I always leave them in the baskets in my house...as you can usually see in the backgrounds of my blog pictures! :)

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I'm guilty of laundry baskets everywhere too. They're usually full of clean clothes. Unfolded of course. It doesn't help that my kids love to play with laundry baskets!