Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Diabetes Bloopers–DBW #3

Diabetes bloopers - Wednesday 5/11: Whether you or your loved one are newly diagnosed or have been dealing with diabetes for a while, you probably realize that things can (and will) go wrong. But sometimes the things that go wrong aren’t stressful - instead sometimes they are downright funny! Go ahead and share your Diabetes Blooper - your “I can’t believe I did that" moment - your big “D-oh” - and let’s all have a good laugh together!!

It’s no secret that I don’t change my insulin pump infusion set sites by myself.  This is what happened on a day when I thought I could “cheat” the pump. 

I was pregnant with my second baby and running out of insulin in my reservoir.  No problem, I can easily add insulin and change the infusion set later.  I added about 40 units to the reservoir and put the reservoir back in the pump.  Only I forgot to tell the pump what I was doing.  The details are a little fuzzy.  I don’t remember if I had a pump I was supposed to rewind first or what the deal was but in any case I never disconnected the tubing and basically shoved at least 20 units of insulin into my body when I put the reservoir in the pump. 

Aw cwap!  I suspended the pump so no basal rate would be delivered since I clearly didn’t need that anymore!  I fixed my reservoir mistake, binged on carbs, and went to my Young Women’s planning meeting.  One of the ladies brought doughnuts for everybody.  Normally I would pass since I think doughnuts require far too much insulin for how not tasty they are.  But I needed the carbs.  I could feel my blood sugar dropping like a rock so as soon as the doughnuts were passed around I grabbed one. 

My blood sugars were fabulous that day and I ate to my heart’s content, which is a rare treat for me since pregnancy makes me so insulin resistant.  Every once in a while when I am changing my infusion set and the pump screen says DISCONNECT really big while simultaneously beeping I think of my diabetes blooper.  My oh my!  Pregnancy brain and a fear of pushing a button to shove a needle into my stomach, all dart like, to get the infusion set cannula in my body is not a good combination! 

2 thoughts:

The DL said...

WOW! What a happy mistake!!! I agree though about doughnuts...not always worth it for the taste. I would way rather have ice cream :) I love the bloopers though-makes me feel like we have those days! lol

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Hi Lauren,

Ice cream definitely trumps doughnuts. Especially Ben & Jerry's Cherry Garcia! This is my favorite prompt of the week. So many funny stories.

Tristan