Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It’s all in how you say it

For Mother’s Day my mom gave me the book Life’s alphabet Soup by Terri Ferran.  The subtitle is “When your children make you eat your words.”  The book is hilarious.  It reminds me of The Diaper Diaries by Cynthia Copeland.  A pointless book that is the most entertaining parenting book you’ll ever read.  You don’t read these books hoping to learn anything.  You read these books to laugh and realize you’re not the only one. 

I found it interesting that Terri Ferran had always dreamed of becoming a writer but went the secure route of accounting.  She spent many years as a CFO for an automotive dealership group before trading in luxury for full time motherhood.  She took her inspiration from Dr. Seuss and his alphabet book and organized her motherhood stories in alphabetical order.  She has a dry wit that is so real it’s funny.  She is totally my kind of person.  I love that she insisted on having a bathtub in the master bathroom of any place her family lived in even though she was too busy working to ever use it.  She would just dust it periodically!  That’s what I did until Gwen started bathing in the master Jacuzzi tub so we could have two kids getting clean at once.  I have taken baths in that tub and they are very luxurious and relaxing but I bathed so seldom that I really did dust my tub. 

I highly recommend this book to any parent or grandparent. 

My favorite part of the book was when I told Heath it was evil because it made me think I could actually publish something!  Maybe I could one day.  I would like to thank the good people in San Francisco for creating another chapter in my mental memoirs My Life – Stranger than Fiction.  So many stories so little time to tell them all! 

A friend of mine recently said that she is in awe of bloggers because she doesn’t think her life is that interesting.  She is amazed by blog posts that make baking cookies with the kids seem like a worthwhile read.  I told her it’s all in how you write your story.  We all have something worthwhile to write about.  Nobody’s life is too boring.  What do you talk to your friends and family about?  There’s a story in there! 

Sometimes I worry that I quote Dave Barry too much when I say, “I am not making this up!” I don’t want to give off the impression that my blog is called Based on a True Story because I embellish everything I say.  I don’t.  This is really my life.  The characters may be embellished like the Bogeyman, Velma, Ubi, Julio, Steven, and their little sister Stephanie Juliana the Wicked Witch of the Wii!  But the stories are true.  That’s the best part!  My life is insane and I love every second of it. 

2 thoughts:

Becca Jane said...

It's on my to-read list! Thanks!! Diaper Diaries is still one of the funniest books ever. I need to read that again to ease my nerves, haha!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

You'll love it Becca! I think the Diaper Diaries is a must read with every baby. Life's Alphabet Soup will ease any mothering nerves you have with the two you have now.