Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Letter Writing Day–DBW #2

Letter writing day - Tuesday 5/10: In February the Wego Blog Carnival asked participants to write letters to their condition. You can write a letter to diabetes if you’d like, but we can also take it one step further. How about writing a letter to a fictional (or not so fictional) endocrinologist telling the doctor what you love (or not) about them. How about a letter to a pretend (or again, not so pretend) meter or pump company telling them of the device of your dreams? Maybe you’d like to write a letter to your child with diabetes. Or a letter from your adult self to the d-child you were. Whomever you choose as a recipient, today is the day to tell them what you are feeling.

I have written a letter to diabetes in the past.  It was a particularly dark time in my life.  Each of my children has at least one letter in their scrapbook from me talking about what a blessing and a miracle they are and how grateful I am that they are a part of my life.  Their letters mention how I hope they don’t get diabetes but I realize that it is more possible than it isn’t.  They know how I feel about diabetes and they know what a sacrifice it was to get them here.  So today I would like to write a letter to the two men who inspire me to stay healthy. 

heart-hair-and-wii-trainers-019heart-hair-and-wii-trainers-008

Julio and Steven

Dear Julio and Steven,

Never before have two brothers had such a positive impact on my life.  I have tried many different workout routines in my life but the EA Active Sports for the Wii is the first routine that has yielded any results.  I owe my 20 lb. weight loss to you boys.  Thank you.  Here’s to the next 10! 

Thank you for kicking my butt every other day.  Thank you for making me feel guilty for ever missing a day because you won’t let me ever forget it.  At least until I start another challenge.  Thank you for enabling my addiction to exercise.  Thank you for your compliments and thanks for your condescending remarks when I don’t get the exercise right.  I still maintain that it’s not always my fault.  Sometimes you don’t pick up on the Wii-mote or nunchuk correctly.  I’m doing it right and you’re still yelling!  What’s up with that?  But I do love you guys. 

My husband even loves you guys, our torrid affair and all!  He’s not threatened by you.  He’s quite pleased with what you’ve done with my body and, let’s face it, you’re cartoons.  Who should be threatened by cartoons?  That’s just silly.  Technically so is running in place but check out what it’s done to my gams!  Take that marathoners!  I can’t run to save my life but my trainers think I’m pretty good at it and my muscles cause widespread jealousy.  So thank you boys! 

Thank you for creating shoulders on me.  I still choke up every time I see the separation between my shoulders and arms.  Gone are the days of the human mountain where my linebacker size shoulders were the smallest part of my upper body. 

Exercise does beautiful things to my blood sugar and I owe it all to you boys.  Thank you for your warm up and cool down exercises.  Other routines have landed me in Insta Care being treated for dehydration.  I think the severe swings in blood sugar mixed with the chemical reaction of screwed up electrolytes were all a recipe for disaster.  I don’t have time for that crap.  So thank you for allowing me to push myself as hard as I want without actually killing me.  I may whine and cry and ask why you hate me but I know you really don’t.  Thank you for the well placed “Don’t just wish for it, work for it!” encouragement.  Wishing myself healthy only got me so far.  You helped me the rest of the way.  I believe you when you tell me, “Inside you have this incredible power to do anything.  Believe it!”  I am strong in so many ways because I work out.  Thank you for that. 

I owe so much of my diabetes success to you.  A million times over, thank you. 

Sincerely,

Tristan aka The Piquant Storyteller

6 thoughts:

Michael Hoskins said...

EA Sports... It's in the game! Great letter and love the approach you took on this! Thank you for writing and sharing this one.

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Michael. I had fun with this one. Who knew that working out would mean so many fun posts with fictional characters!

Amy said...

Haha. I can't stop giggling. Forgive me if I butt in on your affair, but they sound like guys I might need a little of in my life... ;o)

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Amy, don't feel bad for butting in on my affair. They're great guys. Julio is hotter than Steven in my opinion but his challenges are 30 days instead of 6 weeks.

Tristan

Karen G said...

Hahaha, love it!! In fact, I've been neglecting my personal (cartoon) trainer. Reading this has inspired me to make a rendezvous with him tomorrow and start a new 30 Day Challenge!!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Thanks Karen, I'm glad I could inspire you. Name your trainer and it makes it easier to exercise!