Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Art of Being a Mom

Knowing when to give in – “I don’t care when you go to sleep as long as you stay in your room and I can’t hear you!”

and when to crack down – “Yes, chores need to be done every day.” 

Moments of brilliance

rainy-day-in-June-001

like unrolling a few feet of paper for the kids to use for an all day coloring project

and running to the playground even though it was sprinkling already.

Teaching kids

Pretty-Mommy-hair-006Pretty-Mommy-hair-007

and letting them practice their skills.  Smiling when they honestly believe that Mommy is really pretty and if one bow is good, all of them must be better! 

Motherhood is synonymous with sacrifice.

Pretty-Mommy-hair-016Pretty-Mommy-hair-004 Pretty-Mommy-hair-017

Sacrificing time, personal interests, and one’s own skin to be outside with the kids.  (Apparently I was sitting out there much longer than I realized.)

Tickles, knock knock jokes, and a box full of nail polish
Explaining that soup is made by magic, spelling words for hand drawn cartoons, and kissing doll’s foreheads.

The art of motherhood is warmth and cuddles

rainy-day-in-June-002rainy-day-in-June-003rainy-day-in-June-005

especially on rainy days in June.  Snuggling close while enjoying a book together.  Oohing and ahhing over faraway thunder claps.  Popping popcorn and watching a movie. 

Some days are just good Mom days! 

4 thoughts:

Grandma W said...

I do love all the bows, good books and snuggles. Not so “hot” on the sunburned knees. Sunscreen, girl, sunscreen!

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I know Dawn, you're right. I have no one to blame but myself. My friend had come over to give me her Primary lesson materials since I agreed to sub for her on Sunday. We were talking and the kids were showing off because I had a friend over. I tried to get them outside but they wouldn't go. She told the kids we would talk outside while they played. Well there was no sunscreen put on because I didn't think we'd be out there that long scorching my already pink knees from swimming on Saturday!

I'm paying the price for my stupidity and Noxzema is my new best friend! Thank heavens for a cool and rainy day today.

Sherron said...

Well said. Good Mom Days are very important to have!

I love the hair! How do you store all of your lovely hair accessories? I am starting to collect a few now that Jane has enough hair that we can use actual barrettes and clips instead of headbands. Have you found a system that works for you?

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Funny you should ask. I used to use a sandwich baggie. Recently I bought an art supply box. It's about the size of a pencil box and it has 3 compartments. It also has elastic where I slide the hair clips. I've sorted the hair elastics into the other compartments. I got it at Office Max or some place like that. Family Fun Magazine also has creative storage ideas for hair accessories. You could search for those articles online.