Saturday, June 18, 2011

Drama Drama Drama

If it’s not one thing around here it’s another.  The kids were playing in the pool that Heath had just put some pool shock chlorine in.  We had told the kids not to drink the water.  Some people have to learn the hard way I guess.  For whatever reason Gavin had “accidentally” gotten water in his mouth.  When he realized what was going on he started freaking out and spitting.  In the pool.  So we told him to spit in the grass. 

Like any seven year old with selective hearing trying to learn through experimentation, he kept putting things up to his mouth.  This made him remember the taste in his mouth and start spitting in the grass.  Constantly.  Drippy loogy type spitting like when you brush your teeth and the toothpaste lingers as it drops so you keep spitting.  Disgusting unnecessary spitting.  Dramatic-need-to-make-a-point spitting.  Drama King.

I was feeling like my blood sugar was low plus I was done babysitting my own kids.  Heath took over while I tried to fend off the little leeches with a fear of abandonment by saying I needed a break.  Gwen insisted she needed a break too.  Like the drama queen I am I told her I needed a break from her because she’s cute in small doses.  Miraculously I made it in the house and was able to lock the sliding glass door behind me.  Testing confirmed I was low at 46. 

My frantic snacking was interrupted by Gwen and Heath coming in.  She was saying, “My head is about to explode!”  Why?  She was hungry.  Drama Queen Jr.

Parker thinks he’s in charge of the other two while he sits in a chair with his towel wrapped around him.  I told him about the time I more or less left 5 year old Gavin in charge of 6 month old Gwen while I took care of bleeding Parker.  Parker’s response: “Well, Gwen is 3 now and she is not a baby anymore.  And I’m 5 so I’m babysitting her and you are babysitting Gavin.”  Ok.  Not really a dramatic story but that kid is hilarious when he’s not in the throes of negative persistence.  Like this morning when he was slamming the bathroom door and the toilet seat repeatedly because Gwen was sitting in Heath’s seat when Parker wanted to.  Yeah, he can be very dramatic too. 

Is it possible that drama begets drama?  Could my dramatic tendencies have been genetically passed down to my children and mutated into exponentially more dramatic drama?  Bless Heath for his patience with this crazy family! 

2 thoughts:

Grandma W said...

Humm..nature or nurture?

The Piquant Storyteller said...

I know! Tough question right? It's probably a little bit of both. In my defense though insanity is hereditary. You get it from your kids. :)