Friday, July 29, 2011

Underneath

In the deepest reaches of the soul are where the most secretive of secrets are kept hidden.  For some they are dark secrets tightly bottled up.  Others bottle up secrets too but the cork is about to pop releasing a powder keg of pent up emotion.  Some are not hiding secrets as much as unseen things held sacred; the very essence of their soul.  Items that are not to be trifled with but shared with the precious few who have scaled the walls into a circle of trust. 

Whether one falls into the secrets for secrecy sake or a debatable level of self preservation, we are all icebergs.  What is seen above the surface is nothing compared to the breadth of what lies underneath. 

Where one comes from as well as individual experiences, however insignificant, shape who people are.  This true identity is guarded tightly.  Why? 

Imagine how the world might be different if the metaphoric ocean dried up exposing every bit of the iceberg.  What truly lies underneath the surface and why is it kept there? 


In an uncharacteristic act for myself, I will end there.  Give you something to chew on for a while. 

To give credit where credit is due, this post was inspired by Randall Barber, a person I met on Google+.  My fingers were itching to type something but my original post idea wasn’t gelling.  Just to see what would happen I decided to ask for a writing topic on Google+ and Randall pointed me to this site link.  If you ever get stuck in the creative mud check out that site.  I went with the first word that came up for me.  What could you do creatively with a random word?

2 thoughts:

Ray Colon said...

Hi Tristan,

The first thought that came to mind after reading this was the line from A Few God Men, "You can't handle the truth!"

By you, I mean everyone, of course. :)

Thank goodness that most of our icebergs are covered by water. I'm all for being more open with those closest to me, but to have every thought that enters my head open to scrutiny would be too much.

You ask why, and I don't think that I have an answer. So little of what we feel deep in our souls is shared with the world because, I think, we believe that the world would not understand. The care with which we guard our inner beings is inverse to the nonchalant way in which others spread our secrets. Like when someone gets in trouble in the media, and those closest to the individual dump more fuel on the fire by revealing their secrets. Very scary.

Ray

The Piquant Storyteller said...

Ah Ray, one of my readers not afraid to comment on a piquant post!

"You can't handle the truth!" This probably best sums up why people guard parts of themselves. People are naturally judgmental which makes it hard to understand what makes people do the things they do. There's so much more at play than the simple action.

For that reason, I'm with you. I'm glad so much of my iceberg is covered with water. Do you think if thoughts were never secret, from the beginning of time, that society would be different? It's hard to say since this is our reality.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this subject.
Tristan